crocheting a hanger cover

bjames

I want to cover some wire hangers with yarn to create a nice padded hanger. Most of the patterns make the piece first, and then sew it on to the hanger. Lion Brand has a free pattern for "Plush Hanger Cover- Chenille Thick & Quick Homespun", which is crochered directly on the hanger itself.( I Googled it to get the directions ) It simply says to "single crochet around the entire hanger...." It doesn't, however, tell you how to start, and I cannot figure out how to attach the yarn to the hanger to begin,or how to include the hanger in the crocheting as I go along! It must be so obvious to them, but not to me! Does anyone understand how to do this? I can't wait to get started!

I don't know your pattern but this is how I would do it. Attach your yarn at the top left hand side of the hanger if you are a right-handed crocheter. You attach by working Sc stitch around the hanger by reaching up around the hanger to grab your yarn to pull it down around to do a Sc. Work your end under on the next several Sc's so the end is buried and can be cut off. Then continue working Sc stitches around the hanger. You will find that the stitches will slide on the hanger. Keep your stitches close so your work is tight.

Does that make sense? You would work all around the main body of the hanger back up to the top. I don't know if you want to do the hook part of the hanger but you would just continue around that too if you want it covered. I hope I explained it okay.

Good luck.

Make a loop and leave it on the hook, holding hook in front of hanger and yarn underneath, bring up yarn from back to front around hanger (so that the yarn goes over the top and around the hanger wire), yo, and pull it through the loop on your hook. Then just sc as usual.

I find pictures can be useful for this type of question

here is the yarn tied to the hanger. I would start at this join and then work on the "throat" when completing the other side

hanger.jpg

Here, I am beginning the first stitch. it can be tricky to get the hook to work around the hardness of the hanger

hanger2.jpg

Here you can see the stitch being worked over the wire. The YO is ready to pull through both loops on hook

hanger4.jpg

One quick note... you may find that your post has been moved to Crochet Help.

Archived