Gromets in felted purse question

Ok, I love the way my bag turned out and its time to put gromets in for the cord. Can't get the fabric to part enough to stick the gromet through-it felted really well. Gromet instructions say to cut a hole. Can I do this and trust the gromet to hold it all together with no unravelling later?

I would put some "Fray Check", a fabric glue, around the hole before setting the grommet. It dries clear and is washable, if that's a factor. You could also put some on around the grommet after it's in. There are other fabric glues that would work too. This is the one I use. If there are two layers of crochet to go through, you might consider reinforcing it with a small piece of interfacing or matching fabric between them before making the hole.

The felted fabric will not fray but it is very hard to cut. What I do to create my holes for my grommets is I use Knitting needles. I start with a small one and push through the fabric. I then remove the needle then push through a bigger one and I keep doing this till I get a hole big enough to put the grommet in (usually around a size 19 needle but I use the large grommets)

If you don't have knitting needles you can use an awl or you can start the hole with an Ice pick or even the point of the scissors (anything sharp and pointy will do to start the hole), then work it up to wooden spoon handles and keep increasing the hole size using things you have around the house till you get to your grommet size.

I agree with Angie - the felted fabric will not fray, but I wouldn't cut a hole. I do the same as Angie, just push through a pointed object until I get the right size hole. The hole will stretch, so you probably want to make it quite a bit smaller than the grommet, then push through the grommet and attach per your instructions.

I didn't bother with grommets, I just poked a hole through with a knitting needle. Zaraliz

:lol actually - I don't use grommets either! Though maybe it gives the finished object a more "professional" look? But it adds more cost, too. I've used my felted purses where I just poked a hole and pushed the rope handles through. My bags didn't stretch out of shape (the holes didn't even get any larger!) and I carry an awful lot in my purses!!

I like using grommets because it gives a much more finished look. Especially when I sell them I want them to look as professional as possible.

I have just pushed a few handles through the fabric but I really like the grommets better.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
hey, I have a question...I purchased some grommets at Wal-mart and got a tool that said it is used to put them together but I have NO IDEA what I am doing...can you all help me?

I've never used a grommet on a felted project, but I've put grommets in other things. There should be directions on the back of the package you bought, but if not, I'd be happy to help. Just send me a PM if you still need help! (I see your post is almost a month old, so you may have figured it out by now.....)

Judy

Archived