Help with a shawl pattern

acraftylady

Question

Trying to do this pattern and I don't get it. At the end of row 2 where it says dc in the next 2 dc. I don't have 2 dc stitches only one unless I count the ch3? Also where is says to dc in the top of the turning ch is that some where in the ch4 I did at the beginning of the first row.

Row 2: sk first dc, dc in next dc,

*shell in first dc of next shell,

ch 2, sk 4 dc,

dc in next 2 dc. Repeat from * across, ending last dc in top of turning ch.

Ch 3, turn.

http://patternsbydot.blogspot.com/2006/01/zig-zag-shells-stole.html

4 answers to this question

Trying to do this pattern and I don't get it. At the end of row 2 where it says dc in the next 2 dc. I don't have 2 dc stitches only one unless I count the ch3?

The ch3 is your turning chain and it counts as the last dc.

Also where is says to dc in the top of the turning ch is that some where in the ch4 (should be ch3) I did at the beginning of the first row. yes

Row 2: sk first dc, dc in next dc,

*shell in first dc of next shell,

ch 2, sk 4 dc,

dc in next 2 dc. Repeat from * across, ending last dc in top of turning ch.

Ch 3, turn.

Row 1 ends with ch3, turn. This is your turning chain and counts as the first dc.

Row 2: skip first dc (you always skip this stitch anyway because the ch3 turning is counted as your first dc), dc in next dc

Basically this just means that you'll have 2dc for the first 2 stitches of the row (ch3 turning ch and dc = 2 dc's)

Then you start the pattern repeat:

*shell in first dc of next shell, ch 2, sk 4 dc, dc in next 2 dc. If you look at the picture, there are 2dc's separating the zigzag's Repeat from * across

Repeat this section all the way across the width of the shawl. When you get to the end you put the last dc in the 3rd chain of the ch3 turning ch.

what a confusing way to write the pattern.

Ok so instead of ch4 at the beginning I ch3 and the ch 3's count as a DC so when I get to the edn I DC in the DC stitch and then the ch3 because it counts as a DC. Makes sense and I kind of knew that but I tried another pattern yesterday and got all the way through and it didn't work out right. I have a lot of caron 1 lber's here so figured this would be good for the pryayer shawls and be easy. Thanks for the help. Mary

I have one triangular shaw I learned in class I can do with my eyes closed but I am bored just doing the same one for Church group so want to branch out. I also have some of the sensations variegated boucle and the matching fuzzy solid color yarn so need to find a shawl pattern for that. I tried a swatch and love the way it works up together so I was thinking some pattern that calls for an S hook maybe to make it light and lacey. Mary

Archived