Irish crochet

Daydreamer-girl

Question

7 answers to this question

I wouldn't say it's too difficult to learn Irish crochet. I love doing it. But I like things that are intricite and detailed. There is a group I belong to that is dedicated to Irish Crochet http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Irish_Crochet_Lovers/

The group has put together many of the old Irish crochet books for the use of everyone. http://antiquepatternlibrary.org I alway Recomend the Pricissila Irish Crochet book number one as a good starting book. Dover does carry a rerelease of that book. It teaches the basics.

Best of luck on getting into this art form

I concur w/ Kathy (thanks for the link, btw! I'm checking it out this afternoon! :D). I bought my copy of the Priscilla book at Barnes & Noble for only about $6, and a copy of the book by Therese de Dillmot, which is a rerelease of just a small portion of the DMC Book of Needlework. It was the same price as the other. (If they don't have it in stock, they'll also order it for you with no shipping costs!) Also, Iva Rose sells copies of these books, as well as Book II of the Priscilla series (which I'm drooling over! I will buy this someday!). All of these books are available on the Antique Patterns Library link that Kathy mentioned, as well, but I recommend getting an actual hard copy of the Priscilla book, as their scan is a little difficult to read.

Personally, I don't think it's hard to learn, (but Kathy, I may have to ask you to help me "translate" some of the stuff for modern use--esp in the 2nd Priscilla book...trying to make a butterfly, and the directions are a tad confusing!). The first book is great, and they have a lot of really useful info as well as some wonderful ideas for implementing the motifs. I don't know if Kathy would agree with me on this, but it really helped me to practice using size 10 thread with perhaps kitchen cotton as my padding cord, or even making long chains of the thread to use as the pc before beginning, cutting just what you need as you work along. I've only been working with Irish Lace motifs for a year, but I find it gets easier as you go along and get used to the "old" terms used in the books. If I want to learn to make a certain motif that takes a little practice, I might make a few and save the extras for a different purpose, say a scarf, or whatnot. I just keep the extras in a small box and pull them out when I need certain things. Just make sure you're patient with yourself, and don't give up too easily before trying it out. It isn't difficult, but it can be daunting to think of the number of motifs needed to cover a certain space.

I hope it's okay to post this, the link came up on a google search so I don't know where it originally comes from.

http://www.craftfairsandevents.com/How%20to%20Crochet.pdf

The first 21 pages are how to crochet, basics, but starting with page 22 you can find info on Irish crochet. It looks like a basic intro to it. I love this type of crochet. I love making the roses mostly.

Well all the basics in that book for Irish Crochet was orginally in the Priscilla Crochet book 1. I think I would just as soon have the Priscilla book and have all the info instead of just some of it. But that's just me. I am greedy, I want the whole apple not just part of it.....

I have over the years collected many different books on Irish Crochet. Of all them I use the 2 Priscilla books the most.

Archived