Help With Martha Stewart Poncho...Please???

sunshine1977

Question

Hi Everyone -

I need big time help with the "Martha" poncho...As anyone tried to enlarge the pattern? Following the pattern exactly came out much too short for me, and I have been trying to figure out how to make it longer...not as easy at it would seem with the scalloped border...I have gotten it almost finished and had to comletely rip it out and start again because I miscounted...The miscounting didn't appear until I started the scalloped border! I have tried adding different numbers of rows to the main body of the poncho, but I still can't get it to come out right!! ARGGGH!!!! I know it probably has to be something simple that I am missing, but I just can't figure it out! Any help would be much appreciated...I am about to pull my hair out!LOL:thair

13 answers to this question

I agrre with Elizabeth, because that is what I did. I made this poncho for my mom and she is a full figured woman, (about a size 22) I just kept making rounds till I thought is was long enough to fit her, the more rounds you make the bigger it gets. I believe the scallops are in multiple's of three. It fit her fine. I ended up doing about 6 extra rounds. Used a total of 5 skeins of homespun.

Michelle

Thanks ladies - I guess I am doing something wrong because it is coming out fine on one side, but not on the other...I am doing mine in a dark brown/black mix boucle', and it is very hard to see...going to lay a white blanket on the floor and get down there and count row by row to find where I goofed! I never thought it would be so difficult to make it bigger than the pattern called for! I have been crocheting for YEARS, so this is VERY frustrating for me! Never had this kind of problem in my life!!

Well, laying the poncho out on the floor didn't work...it wouldn't lay flat, so it was almost impossible to count accurately....so after about five hours of ripping out one row at a time and counting each block of stitches (that boucle' is a PAIN to rip out and takes FOREVER), I finally found my mistake...on row 4...ARGHHHH!!! It looks like I turned the poncho at the beginning of row 5 for some reason (probably put it down and turned when I picked it back up) instead of continuing to work in the round. Thank goodness I am using Bernat Soft Boucle' instead of Homestead...Homestead would be one big fuzzy mess by now!LOL Thanks again, ladies, for your help...I am going to count after EVERY row this time around and am bound and determined to get it done correctly this time! My hubby suggested I not try to crochet so late at night!LOL

By the way, I am making the same poncho for my mom in a worsted weight cotton...it will be a totally different look, and hopefully much easier to work with!

I think I made my Martha poncho with the same exact yarn you are. Bernat Soft Boucle, "Earth Shades". And it was difficult to tell what you were doing at some points. Unless you were paying attention.:) Hope you get it figured out.

Tina

Yes Tina - The same yarn, and it is HARD to see, especially with my eyes reaching middle age!LOL I actually ended up pulling out the remaining four rows and starting again - I ran across the pattern by Maggie Weldon mentioned in another thread, and I really think I like that one better! Comparing the picture of the pattern to the picture of the actual poncho with Martha holding it up at her meeting, I think Maggie's pattern is more true to the original! Anyway, I have just started, but hopefully this one will go better...I sure do not want to have to do this again! I am making my mom one, and I had planned to make a couple as gifts for friends, but I am not sure I could stand to do that many now! I feel like I have already made two, and I am still barely started on the first one! Thanks for all the help and comments - this is a great board!!

Laurie

Yeah!! I finally finished my Martha poncho, and I just love how it turned out! I finally decided to switch to the pattern by Maggie, and it worked out MUCH better! I am now working on another one for my mom, and it is going really fast...Can't wait to get on to something NEW!

Oohh.. I like that Maggie Weldon one too. Like the collar. I made the Lion Brand one and love it too lol. I want to make one for one of my girlfriends who is going to have a baby in June and I think I'm going to use this Maggie pattern or the one from Plymouth Yarns. Isn't it amazing how many different versions there are are?

Here's a link to Maggie's ifanyone want to see it.

http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/Free/free_pattern_download_1.htm

And the one at Plymouth Yarns...

http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=cPatterns.freePatterns

And we want to see a pic of yours Sunshine.

:) Thanks for the heads up on the Plymouth pattern...I hadn't seen that one before, but I like it too! Mine was made with Bernat Soft Boucle', and I am making my Mom's out of Interlacements "Alabama" with a totally different look! "Alabama" is a smooth cotton yarn in a handpainted varigated pattern, so it it taking on a totally different look. I was worried at first because I thought it would be too stiff - almost like cord - but now that I am almost done, it is softer and very "drapey"...I think my Mom will like it!

I am new to Crochetville, but as soon as I can figure out how to post pics, will do so!

Here is the picture of the second poncho I made for my Mom with "Alabama". A totally different look than mine made of Boucle'! I am so happy to be finally finished with these ponchos! Now on to something new!

Laurie

IMG_2056copy.jpg

Archived