Crochet Along...little blankies!

Ro

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Deneen! I saw your gorgeous preemie blankie on your blog, just perfect :)h

The blankies can be any size...from preemie to a travel size 'comfort' blanket for a toddler (I make those about 20X20 if square) to all the way up to full size for a teen or adult. If people make em and don't know where to send em, I can help with facility names and addresses!

Thanks again to everyone who is participating in this CAL, I'm :cloud9 so inspired by you all! I almost have my first CAL blankie finished, will post pics soon!

hugs and thanks!

Ro

Hi everybody,

Well here it is, the first charity blankie I did for this CAL!

Picture_562.jpg

It measures 28"X28" square. I think I'm going to send it to the Cleveland Clinic when I get another batch together :) I'm making a hat to go with it (to go along with the hat CAL too :)

I've got a web page ready to display blankies that people make for the CAL, I'll do a charity section and a non-charity section. So let me know where pics of your work for the CAL are posted and with your permission I will save them and put them up for everyone to admire, if you want to share! :)

Natalie, CS Mott Children's hospital in Ann Arbor is one place in MI I have sent blankets before. I have also been thinking about finding out if Children's Hospital wants some...will keep you posted on my progress finding out. Just let me know if you want the address for Mott, I have it :) Or if you happen to go to Ann Arbor and want to drop them off in person I know where to do that too.

hugs

Ro

Here is my non-charity work in progress Blankie. AfghanSquares.jpg

I have three more squares to finish, then a ton of weaving in ends, sew them together and add a border. It's so soft!!

Stacy, it's so gorgeous!!! Can I put the picture in the photo gallery?

Natalie I already got this response from Children's Hospital:

Thank you so very much for remembering Children’s Hospital of Michigan! We would love to accept your gift of blankets and hats.

"Children’s Hospital gladly accepts seasonal new and gently used clothing items. All wearable items, including blankets and hats support our Clothes Closet which is a clothing resource for patients and families in need. Several individuals and community groups donate handmade items that include quilts, blankets, caps, etc. You will receive a receipt letter that is suitable for tax deduction purposes.

Community support is so important to Children’s, and is deeply appreciated!

Thank you!"

They likely are much more in need of the donations than Mott for a couple reasons, firstly, Children's is in a very poor area (Downtown Detroit) and they are a bigger facility (though Mott is building an entire new hospital right now). Secondly, Mott gets a lot of U of M Alumni donations and such and so I think that I will send a batch of blankets to Children's! Hats too. Heck who knows, I might even end up making them some mittens if I can get motivated to do so (they're not my favorite thing to make but they're soooo cute).

Don't know how much crocheting I'll get done today my daughter and I are on a closet cleaning mission but I hope to start my sunshine round ripple blankie or perhaps work a little more on the one I already started that is for a gift. Will keep you all posted!

hugs

Ro

You certainly may include the photo! I'm leaving tomorrow for a little vacation so I won't have much progress to show until I get back but I'll post more when I have it together!

Your blanket is super sweet too! I love this crochet along!

OMG Natalie those are gorgeous! My husband just looked at your star one and said "Hello, my name is Patrick!" like the starfish from Spongebob lol. You could sew little eyes on with yarn and it WOULD be Patrick! That is an adorable pattern!!!

thanks so much for participating in this, you guys inspire me so much :cloud9

hugs

Ro

Deneen, your blankets are so gorgeous and the little hats too! I am totally :)h them! Thank you so much for being so into the CAL and for inspiring me so much! I finally got your pictures and Natalie's up on the gallery page sorry it took so long, I added my (almost) completed round ripple afghan too, it looks like sunshine and I am totally loving it! My first blankie is going to Children's Hospital and the second one is going toward a drive an old crochet friend is working on.

Here's the link:

Blankie CAL Gallery

You girls ROCK!

:clap

xoxo

Ro

Alright girls, you are putting me to shame I haven't finished even one yet. lol I am still working on it though.:))

I bought some Bernat Baby Boucle (that's fun alliteration!) tonight, and am already about eight inches into my next blanket... this one's in boyish colors, it's a blue/green varigated, will post pics soon, but I'm really liking it so far...

Hi:

I love this blankie crochet-along!. I'm still plugging away on my giant granny square blankie, and it's now about 20X20".

I noticed on the Project Linus website:

www.projectlinus.org/

that there is a pattern for a crocheted blanket that they describe as a nurse's favorite because there are no holes to catch medical equipment on (or probably little fingers or toes). I hadn't thought of that before. Unfortunately, there's no picture of what the finished blanket looks like.

Also, does anyone have a favorite yarn they use for preemie blankets? :? Their skin must be so sensitive. I'm using two strands of Lion Brand Baby Soft, which is soft, but maybe not soft enough for a preemie (maybe I crochet too tightly?). I just wondered if anyone has any advice for preemie blankies that are soft and not likely to cause any allergic reactions.

Thanks--Donna L. :heart

Hi Donna!

I like to use Caron Simply Soft baby and also TLC baby. I also like Cotton Tots by Bernat (softest yarn ever) but it's 100% cotton and I think it might be too heavy for little preemies.

Keep up the great work!

You too Natalie, keep up the fantastic work! I have to catch up to you and Deneen! LOL

hugs

Ro

Oooo, Natalie I love that! I definitely have to try that pattern, I know I bookmarked it somewhere! LOL

Great work, thank you for putting so much love into these blankets!!!

hugs

Ro

Hi, I love making baby blankies too. I usually make them for people I work with. I just finished a baby set for my sister, and no, don't have pic yet, but will very soon. I finished a banana colored one in simply soft for my boss and his wife. They have a new baby girl. When I washed it up, it turned out so soft and they loved that it was made just for her. Another girl I work with finds out this week what she will be having. Keeps me busy! Unfortunately, I fall in love with them and have a hard time letting them go! I put them aside for "maybe someday!" ha! My favorite yarn is the Simply Soft, but I can get super good prices on it because I can buy samples. That sometimes bites me though if I don't have enough to get me to the end of my project! I have had to do some creative finishing before! I will work on getting some pictures to post.

Jessie

I can't wait to try the round ripple one!

I am currently working on a round lace one. Don't know who that is for yet. Might be for the girl at work if she has a baby girl. I am not sure yet. I have another pastel one I am working on in Simply Soft. Don't know where that one will go either.

Does anyone have the link for the star? I like it too!

I go see my new nephew in 2 weeks will try to get a pic of him in his new outfit I made him and post.

Jessie

:ducky

Archived