Help! What do I do with these hooks?

LeahB

Question

I went to a local dairy festival today, and as it happens, there was a woman there who was doing a spinning demonstration (It was very cool). She was also selling some afghan hooks. I think I may have seen them called Tunisian hooks elsewhere. They seemed like a good price ($1 each), so I bought a few in various sizes. Of course, now I am not sure what to do with them!

Let me tell you about the hooks. I got two kinds: one kind has a normal crochet hook on one end and a metal stopper on the other end; the other kind has a crochet hook on both ends. So, I basically have two questions: What is the difference between them (other than the obvious fact that they look different)? And, what do I do with them now that I have them?

Thanks! :hook

5 answers to this question

For the kind with a hook on both ends you can make things with a different color on each side... Google books for "Double-Ended Crochet" to get some ideas.

Wow! For $1 each you got a VERY good deal. I just paid $15 plus shipping for a double-ended (also called cro-hook) hook.

Go to Kim Guzman's blog:

http://kimguzman.bravejournal.com/

On the left side bar she has her schedule of free on-line classes. She also has transcripts of previous classes. They are very easy to follow and you will be Tunisian crocheting in no time!

Have fun!

Joan

My goodness, goodness! What a terrific find! :clap

The hooks with a stopper are afghan hooks used for Tunisian (also called railway knitting, tricot). The ones with double hooks are also for Tunisian, usually called cro-hook. Both use the same stitches, but cro-hook uses two balls of yarn, one for each hook end. I love using both types of hooks and have been working with them for about 9 years.

As a matter of fact, just yesterday, I updated my online index of Tunisian patterns and it starts here:

http://www.crochetkim.com/tunisianpatterns.html

That should give you a really great start to playing. :yes

Archived