Feet Need Socks Crochet-along

Donna

I'm in! :yay I just got yarn in yesterday from Knit Picks and am going to start my first pair of socks, the Button Top Socks from Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet. Has anyone here completed those? I skimmed the pages but didn't see anything. I wear size 8.5 and wasn't sure if I should do the smaller 6-8 size or the larger 8-10 size. I want them to fit snugly. Any suggestions?

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok I've started the "In Your Shoes" ankle socks last night. I"m a little confused, so those that are familiar with this pattern feel free to chime in. She says sc across front half of tube, what exactly does she mean?

Okay. In that pattern, you first work the stretchy rib and join at the short end, which makes a tube. This tube is the leg of the sock.

You're going to go back and add the heel after working the foot of the sock down to the toe, so when you crochet across front half of tube, you're picking what will be the top of the sock foot. When you chain the part across there and attach to the other part, that becomes the bottom of the foot.

I have a (poor) picture here for this, only the sock shown in the image is a toe-up sock instead of a cuff-down sock, but you should be able to more easily visualize what you'll be doing.

Please let me know if you need clarification! :)

i just viewed quiltymare's socks-

how did that happen with your socks-

did u follow same pattern?

was yarn the same dye lot?

what yarn did you use?

joanne

what yarn did you use?

joanne

hee hee... they are Faithdotcom's socks. I have only finished 1 1/2 socks!:lol

I used Bernat Sox yarn, which is a self-striping yarn, and went by this pattern. The pattern was super-easy and fun, IMO. The first sock used about 3/4 of a ball, so I started the second sock with the second ball of yarn I had. I have no idea why I ended up with two socks so drastically different, because I didn't do anything differently with the second sock. I have been advised that I may be successful in avoiding having "mismatched" socks in the future by being sure to start at the same point in the colorway with each sock.

what yarn did you use?

joanne

Hi anyone, :yay I bought myself a soft cover brochure titled Teach Yourself to Crochet Socks!! I am thrilled to begin this but I am in the middle of so many projects and now company is coming for 10 days!! I am eager to have my sister come yet I want to work on my projects...she is sure to bring her own cross stitch to work on while she's here so maybe I can begin learning how to make socks!! If I achieve this I want to try thread crochet next while still working on all the other stuff (cross stitch, sewing, crochet afghan, crochet slippers, crochet scarf, prayer shawl - finished the crochet one and still working on the knit one-, and that about it for now.) :cheer Jody

My second pair of socks are complete:clap

http://yarnchick.blogspot.com/2005/11/feet-need-socks.html

using this pattern

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/ripplesocks.html

ty!

BTW, my name isnt listed anymore over there, but my first pair of socks are

in the gallery. Cool socks everyone!

naida

:hook

• 2 weeks later...

what pattern have u been using?-

try reading intro to book crocheted socks-good explanation of stitches and sock construction-

where are u having most problems?

joanne r.

May I ask... what "easy pattern" are you using? I made 1 pair, but I don't like adding the heel in afterwards..... I'm liking the idea of a toes-up with the heel done right in with instead of an "afterthought heel"

I haven't been able to find such a pattern yet...

Tina

www.granny-garret.com Is the site I got the payyern for crochet baby socks but I sized the hook up to a G and got a sock for a toddler. so I again sized the hook to an H and got one for my son who is in a shoe 11(boys) After that I am going up another hook size to see if it will grow on its own. I have not photographed the first pair yet but will add it to my blog asap!The heel was a little tricky but worked out fine once I "got it"

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished my 1st pair of socks!!! :yay

winter_night.1.jpg

I used the pattern from here, with a J-hook, and Red Heart worsted. I think I like making my heels separately.

p.s. I just read about problems with blogger and hot-linking pictures. So if the photo is just a red x, then here is the blog address: www.clockework.blogspot.com, and the post date is 12.12.05. Hopefully that should fix the problem.

:jumpyayI finished my first sock last night. I actually made two, but frogged the first as it was a real, ummmmmmmm, learning experience, not fit for human feet. Anyway, I made it in a blue, lightweight yarn for my four year old. She is anxious for me to finish the second so she has "house socks". I'll send in a pic when I get the second done. It was actually fun!!! Let's see if I can get the second to even vaguely resemble the first. :knit

Please count me in! I know I am a New Villager, so I figured this might be a great project to join in with, as it requires no deadline. My daughter wasreading through the threads with me, and has now BEGGED me to crochet a pair of socks for her. I am excited about this!:yay

Hooray!

Archived