Feet Need Socks Crochet-along

Donna

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, the joining of rounds kinda left a diagonal across the instep, i'm going to try putting that on the bottom on the next one.

Or I could do it just the same so that they both have a diagonal across the instep ;)

:frog

:clap

I am SOOO in!! I just happened to get the "Crocheted Socks" book and am ready to go. I knit socks also, but this will be a new thing to try. Less sticks to drop, misplace, etc.:eek

I can't wait to see pics of everyone's socks.

Thank you, the joining of rounds kinda left a diagonal across the instep, i'm going to try putting that on the bottom on the next one.

I work my socks in spirals instead of joining the rounds so that I don't have that happen... if you're not working a stripe pattern with different colors where you want the stripes to meet up perfectly, this works out pretty well... if you decide you want to try that out. :)

I usually do that too but I was trying something, sort of an experiment, need to experiment a lil more and I might get it the way I want.

I work my socks in spirals instead of joining the rounds so that I don't have that happen... if you're not working a stripe pattern with different colors where you want the stripes to meet up perfectly, this works out pretty well... if you decide you want to try that out. :)

I work my socks in a spiral too, evenwhen I'm doing stripes! I just make sure that the uneven edges are on the outside edge or bottom, and then they still look okay. Of course, it helps that I put the 'seams' where I can't see them, because otherwise the perfectionist side of me would die! (And I make sure to take the pictures from the nice side too... lol)

Here's another pair of Chris Crossed Ankle Socks........this time for Chris.

The first pair was for me to try out to make sure the pattern would work :hook .

These are for him.

Dscn1157sm.jpg

I think this brings my total total to 8 pairs of socks I have made since I started the sock-along.

I started on my next pattern called Jessie's Dressies.....stay tuned. :)

Hey, guys :help :

Anyone have any pattern ideas for warm climate, sunny south Florida type socks!! Worsted, etc, is WAY to warm for down here!!

Anyone have any pattern ideas for warm climate, sunny south Florida type socks!! Worsted, etc, is WAY to warm for down here!!

Kim, try using some cotton blend fingering weight sock yarn -- the cotton keeps it cool and with it being thinner, it makes it okay for summer in warm climates! :)

Some common cotton blend sock yarns:

Regia Cotton (41 wool, 34 cotton, 25 Polyamid)

Meilenweit Cotton (45 Cotton, 42 Wool, 13 Polyamid)

Cascade Fixation ( 98.3 Cotton, 1.7 Elastic)

Lang Jawoll Cotton Superwash(9 new wool, 35 cotton, and 16 nylon)

Plymouth Sockotta (45 cotton, 40 wool, 15 nylon)

Bernat Sox is 60/40 acrylic/nylon, which might be cool (cooler than wool anyway), but I've never used it.

With those you can use just about any sock pattern... :)

Hope that helps!

I've used Bernat Sox, just not for socks... the colors were perfect for a poncho that I had three days to do, so it went towards that. It was nice to work with though, I don't remember having any problems with it. I don't think it would be too warm for 'cooler' evenings.

I'm working on the other sock to the pink one I posted and am doing it slightly different. It seems to be going more to my liking.

This was just a test pair anyway, I'll be making another pair of these since they're really comfy.

I'm also doing my best to write the pattern out as I go along, only thing left to write is working the toe part and doing the heel. I think I can remember how I did the toe :think

By the way....my hubby (the drill sergeant) tells me that wool is a wicking agent and will actually keep your feet cooler then cotton. He wears wool socks all year round even in the 100 degree heat with combat boots on. I haven't tested his theory yet, but since I am mainly working with wool myself, I guess i will be this summer. Although to me, cotton just sounds lighter.

By the way....my hubby (the drill sergeant) tells me that wool is a wicking agent and will actually keep your feet cooler then cotton. He wears wool socks all year round even in the 100 degree heat with combat boots on.
This is totally true. When I did fieldwork in the South Carolina swamps I always wore SmartWool socks. They kept my feet dry and cool.

Sorry for being AWOL from this CAL for a while, gals. As you know, I've been really busy with this new board (yes, we're still working stuff out :P ), setting up the C'ville CafePress shop and more. I promise, I'll get back to my CALs soon! BTW, thank you Jess (xantha) for being so active in this thread while I've been elsewhere! :blush:hug

By the way....my hubby (the drill sergeant) tells me that wool is a wicking agent and will actually keep your feet cooler then cotton. He wears wool socks all year round even in the 100 degree heat with combat boots on. I haven't tested his theory yet, but since I am mainly working with wool myself, I guess i will be this summer. Although to me, cotton just sounds lighter.

Wool does wick. It just seems fuzzier and warmer to me than the cotton, which seems lighter in terms of weight of the actual sock/yarn (though given that a 50g ball of cotton is about the same length as a 50g ball of wool sock yarn I guess that's perception).

Also, all of the cotton sock yarns are part wool, part cotton, part polyamid/acrylic -- partially for stretchiness and partially for wicking.

Interestingly, polyester wicks better than wool (take a look at bike jerseys), so some acrylics might be better than wool for socks. They just wouldn't be as soft. heh.

BTW, thank you Jess (xantha) for being so active in this thread while I've been elsewhere! :blush:hug

Well, Crochetville is all about community... Everyone steps in where they can answer a question! ;)

:hug

I finished my other pink footie yesterday and I like the way the second one came out much better. I don't have a picture yet but it doesn't look much different than the first one.

I think I want to try a knee sock, maybe make some this summer for when the weather turns cooler again.

can anyone join this anytime? i see that i am almost a year too late...lol..but hey, i only came on board a couple months ago!!!!!!!

It's an ongoing CAL!! We're all still here, still making socks... ;)

So sure! :hook

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished another pair of socks. I used the Bernat Sox that my fairy godmother sent me. The colors make you want to shout Olé! and go Mexican hat dancing :D

I'll get a pic up sometime tomorrow, don't have much time today. They are nice and warm, just not too warm since I live in the South, our weather's been a little cool for this time of year.

I wore them to church and people like them, I think I'm going to make more. I'm working on some knit ones in Simply Soft but I guess they don't count since this isn't a knitalong ;)

I'll work on some more crochet ones in a couple of weeks when the afghans I need to finish should be finished.

:frog

Hi all,

Is it still okay to join in the CAL?

I want to eventually make something like these:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATTlolita.html

But, I think I ought to learn to make socks first! :lol

Although, I can generally follow a pattern, so if one of you super crocheters want to make up one for sexy socks, I'll be happy to test it!:wink

jennifer.

Archived