DC 5 sts TOG as one ?? Help

mrsb_325

Question

PLEASE help me, I cannot find this stitch anywhere :bang . Will someone please explain it to me. I cannot figure out how to do it. Any help will be so gratefully appreciated :nworthy

11 answers to this question

look around the beginning of your pattern or possibly in a section called "special stitches" and see if they give an explanation as to what DC 5 sts TOG as one means.

My guess - only a guess - would be to do the first DC but don't finish it, leave the last loop on the hook, then do the next four the same way, all in the same base stitch, leaving the last loop on the hook each time so you end up with five loops on the hook after the five DC - then yarn over and pull through all loops on hook. this makes a nice puff stitch, so if you're pattern is supposed to have puff stitches then this might be what they want you to do.

try looking at the picture of your pattern and see what you're "going for" here - that might help.

good luck!:manyheart

Thanks Paulette, I have looked on the pattern, and it does not explain it to me, it doesn't look like there is a puff stitch in the pattern. I am just not getting it. Thanks for your help.

Paulette is correct. If it reads "5 dc tog as one" and dc means double crochet. If the DC means decrease (which it really shouldn't), you would combine the next 5 stitches using whatever stitch the pattern calls for.

Okay. I woke up around 4:00 a.m. and had an epiphany.:eek

what if instead of putting the base of each DC in the same stitch, you put it in each of the next five stitches, still holding the last loop on the hook so you'd end up with five loops on the hook after the five DC, but it would be spread over five stitches - you'd sort of be turning a corner or something... that would give you something else, but not a puff stitch... some sort of a major decrease

is the pattern on the internet somewhere so you could link it? or perhaps in a magazine or book that one of us might have... i have a LOT of books:blush and patterns:D

Paulette, Angela and Kathy, Thank you so much for trying to help me out. I have been banging my head against the wall on this. I finally put it away as it gave me a headache. LOL Here is what I found for the pattern instructions (I printed it off line and now I cannot find it again).

DC 5 sts TOG as one -- {(YO, insert hook in next st, yo, pull up a loop, pull through 2 loops on hook) 5 times. YO and pul through all loops on hook} ..

Eventhought I am a novice crocheter, I am not stupid, but, this just will not sink into my brain. Can someone please explain it step by step.

I would be so appreciative.

Rhonda

Paulette, Angela and Kathy, Thank you so much for trying to help me out. I have been banging my head against the wall on this. I finally put it away as it gave me a headache. LOL Here is what I found for the pattern instructions (I printed it off line and now I cannot find it again).

DC 5 sts TOG as one -- {(YO, insert hook in next st, yo, pull up a loop, pull through 2 loops on hook) 5 times. YO and pul through all loops on hook} ..

Eventhough I am a novice crocheter, I am not stupid, but, this just will not sink into my brain. Can someone please explain it step by step.

I would be so appreciative.

Rhonda

what if instead of putting the base of each DC in the same stitch, you put it in each of the next five stitches, still holding the last loop on the hook so you'd end up with five loops on the hook after the five DC, but it would be spread over five stitches - you'd sort of be turning a corner or something... that would give you something else, but not a puff stitch... some sort of a major decrease

I definitely agree that this is the way to do it, especially based on the description of the stitch from your pattern instructions.

You repeat the steps in the parentheses 5 times, so that means you go to the next stitch 5 times.

I hope that makes sense. I'm at work and keep having to get up from my desk so I forget where I left off. :think

Just out of curiousity, what is it you're making? Is it something where a big decrease like that makes sense?

Try thinking of them as partial double crochets, for the 1st of the 5: yarn over, insert hook in stitch, yarn over to pull up a loop,yarn over pull through two loops, ( so far this is just like a regular DC) now here's where it gets different: instead of doing another yarn over (yo) , you leave the loop on the hook and go to the next stitch: yarnover, insert hook, yarn over, pull through loop, yarn over and pull through tw loops , now there are two loops left on the hook...go to third stitch and repeat,: each time you will leave the last loop on the hook with the ones already there. When you get to the 5th stitch you'll do the same thing, except that after working off two stitches, you do a yo and take through all the loops that you've been keeping on the hook. This last part is what will bring the 5 dc together . In less words : you leave the last loop of each dc on the hook, until you've done the first half of all 5, then work the last loops off all together as one.

Thanks Nora, I will try it. I am making a pair of bayb mary jane slippers, and this is the rounded part in front.

I definitely agree that this is the way to do it, especially based on the description of the stitch from your pattern instructions.

You repeat the steps in the parentheses 5 times, so that means you go to the next stitch 5 times.

I hope that makes sense. I'm at work and keep having to get up from my desk so I forget where I left off. :think

Just out of curiousity, what is it you're making? Is it something where a big decrease like that makes sense?

Archived