63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

Well, I'm on Square #41 (the Popcorn Fan thing), which was spawned out of the seventh circle of hell, I swear. It's one of those squares where you have to keep an eagle eye on your count. Also, treble crochet is not my favorite stitch <g>.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning all. I am up to 11 squares in just under 4 days. I started Monday night and it is Friday morning. Not too bad. I probably won't get very much done this weekend though as I have probmised myself that I will finish the baby ghan for the MAM CAL by Sunday. I only have 3 more strips to do on it and I have been joining it as I go so the three strips and the border and then I can get back to my 63 squares. I will try to knowck out 2 mre squares today though. LOL. Oh and a trip to hobby lobby for more caron ss is required.

Hi, all - finally got moving on my squares again - I liked the alternate puff stitch (square #7), but I think if I were to use it in a project, I'd be careful to choose a yarn that is very split-resistant. I love caron simply soft, but you do have to work extra hard at not crocheting between plies at the best of times, and when you are tugging the YO back through 7 loops - sigh.... Probably a more tightly wound worsted like Red Heart, or Caron Perfect Match/One-pounder would work better for this stitch. Or even one of the sport weight yarns that are very smooth.

I'm figuring on making two 'ghans out of this block series. One, my squares are turning out sort of large, and two, I like the looks of broader sashing between the blocks. So, I figure I'm going to make 70 squares (find 7 more patterns somewhere to round out the 70 - already have 1 of those picked out), and put 35 squares in each ghan. I figure that the half-ghans will be about normal afghan size 54" by 72" (or thereabouts). One is going to be for me, and the other for a buddy in my small group (also our hostess!) - and by sheer luck, the colors I'm working are perfect for her living room. :yay

So, with her applauding the completion of each square, I'm finding it a little easier to get going again. I'm dividing my crochet time between the squares, the Prairie Star I've started for the crochet-a-quilt CAL, and finishing my UFO's - conveniently, yet another CAL :wink.

So, finished #7, time to work on Prairie Star for awhile, then come back to #8 (can you tell I'm putting off working on the square that seems to have earned the designation "preachercuss square"?):eek

Hey, Gram! way to go on working your way through the patterns so quickly - keep it up, can't wait to see your finished colors!

Can we still join? I just bought this book tonight and then seen this thread on here just a while ago... got to thinking about it and I think I'd like to try this as my first CAL, if we can still join along?? :think:hook < ---- I got my hook ready :D and my colors (off white color, tan, and coffee) (or off white, maroon, and dark green)... hmmm.. choices...

Yay! This is cool! I chose the Off White (Aran), Dark Green (Med Thyme), and the maroon color (not sure one what color it is). I just started working on my grany square last night... it's the first time I've ever made one and I'm very happy with the results :D

Ok everyone, I had to take a break over the weekend to complete my MAM CAL cause I need Hubby to deliver it for a baby shower in a couple of weeks. also I knew if I didn't go ahead and finish it I never would. That said, I only got a couple more squares done over the weekend. I am up to 14 now. I have to say that the braided popcorn may be the death of me. I frogged it 3 times:angry and finally decided to just leave it for a whil and work some others.:P I figured if I quit thinking :thinkabout it when I came back to it I might not have the problems. for some reason, I just could NOT get the count right on the silly thing. Oh well, the slant stitch came out beautiful and the climbing shells was simple too. :yay

Paula

Elizabeth -

Good luck, and if you need help, holler . There are still lots of ladies working on this ,I believe . Your colors sound pretty. Will it be for you ?

Paula - sounds like you are keeping busy .. As long as you're working on something, you're making progress, right ?

You'll get the hang of those pesky squares . :yes

Well, I'm on the Puff Stitch square now, which is much easier than that popcorn/fan thing...I was looking at the container where I'm keeping all my squares...it's just amazing when you look and realize how much work you've done.

Hi, all! still here, and working (slowly) on my squares (got sidetracked on a UFO and the crochet-a-quilt CAL). Julie thinks I should take them with me to Turkey - waaaay too hot. so, I guess I just have to finish before May 30th. That gives me a goal!

You're going to Turkey?! How cool!! I hope it's for fun. :D

Can we still join? I just bought this book tonight and then seen this thread on here just a while ago... got to thinking about it and I think I'd like to try this as my first CAL, if we can still join along?? :think:hook < ---- I got my hook ready :D and my colors (off white color, tan, and coffee) (or off white, maroon, and dark green)... hmmm.. choices...

Welcome aboard, crochet_queen_03! :cheer

Finished up the Flower square this weekend. I like it very much. Perhaps I'll do an afghan with only Flower squares, but in a bunch of different colors... But that will not be in the immediate future. :lol

As for the Cross-stitch square, I have a question about the crossing (2nd made) dc. The instructions say to work that dc around the first dc. Is that the same as working the dc separately of the first dc, or is it indeed similar to as if I were doing a fpdc? :think

.....As for the Cross-stitch square, I have a question about the crossing (2nd made) dc. The instructions say to work that dc around the first dc. Is that the same as working the dc separately of the first dc, or is it indeed similar to as if I were doing a fpdc? :think

Hi, clocke! This is a great question, and I'd love to know the right answer as well. although I haven't done that square yet, I have used the crossed dc stitch in something else, and I used the first interpretation (separate), not the second. The "around" comes into play since in the process you've put your hook in behind the first dc on one side, and pull the free end of the yarn in on the other side while pulling up your loop.

Just for grins and giggles, I just tried to go around the post of the first dc, and all I managed to do was place 3 loops plus the first stitch's post on my hook, which doesn't seem right....:eek

Experts out there, get up off the floor :rofl and help, please?

You're going to Turkey?! How cool!! I hope it's for fun. :D
Oh, absopositively! (been watching too many Fievel movies...).

My sister loves to travel, and wants to have a great trip with her dh after finishing her Master's, before settling down to the daily grind. Mom loves Turkey (my family was assigned there in the early 80's; I was assigned in Germany) and me? I think it's a chance of a lifetime to get to spend that kind of time with my sister, bil, and Mom in a place that holds so many memories for them.:c9 It's going to be incredible!:yay

(thank you for asking!)

Welcome aboard, Elizabeth! :hi

I guess it's too late to warn you about Julie's CAL's? :eek (she's mentoring this particular round of the 63 Square CAL). This was going to be *my* first CAL, too, and virtuously, I wasn't going to do anything else until I finished it. That plan lasted about as long as it took for Julie to offer her next CAL, and voila! There went my willpower, resolution, and signature block!:hook

I think I can promise that you are going to have a blast, and boy, are you going to be "hooking" up with more CAL's. :ghug And before you know it, you'll have finished the most amazing projects :yay , made wonderful friends/crochet buddies :hug , and incidentally, laughed all the way through! :rofl . Which I think are 3 great reasons to spend time here at the 'Ville.

Well, I'm on the Puff Stitch square now, which is much easier than that popcorn/fan thing...I was looking at the container where I'm keeping all my squares...it's just amazing when you look and realize how much work you've done.

Wow, Pam! Congrats, great progress! - Go, Go, Go!:cheer :cheer :cheer

.... I am up to 14 now.....

Hi, Paula :hi (love your name - My mom has that name, too) Way to go! and you'll have some advice for the rest of us on finishing that braided thingy before long!

Julie, how can you even imply that I'm procrastinating on the (preachercuss) #8 square, chevron relief stitch?! I'm wounded, here, I say wounded! I'm just being a good CAL member, encouraging folks, and keeping up with this thread (ok, ok, so the longer I spend online, the longer before I have to take the plunge - busted!):yarn:lol

One thing I remember about the Chevron square was that I had to add one extra row of hdc to the bottom, and I think to the top, to make it high enough. I tried using a larger hook, but only ended up with a wider square, not a higher one.

Welcome aboard, Elizabeth! :hi

I guess it's too late to warn you about Julie's CAL's? :eek (she's mentoring this particular round of the 63 Square CAL). This was going to be *my* first CAL, too, and virtuously, I wasn't going to do anything else until I finished it. That plan lasted about as long as it took for Julie to offer her next CAL, and voila! There went my willpower, resolution, and signature block!:hook

I think I can promise that you are going to have a blast, and boy, are you going to be "hooking" up with more CAL's. :ghug And before you know it, you'll have finished the most amazing projects :yay , made wonderful friends/crochet buddies :hug , and incidentally, laughed all the way through! :rofl . Which I think are 3 great reasons to spend time here at the 'Ville.

:D:D I can't wait for the fun to begin, mind you, I already have a lot of fun on the site!! I love how everyone is so active and really really nice on here! It's great!!! :D:c9:manyheart

Morning gang

Sounds like there's still some life left in this group ! I was beginning to think most of you had finished and /or given up . It's nice to see some action in here again .

Elizabeth - if you want a challenge, try # 17 , the FAMOUS PREACHERCUSS SQUARE . :D

Archived