63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

Barb

Let us know what colors you choose today !

Jana - So did you re-start all the blue squares you did, or are you just gonna use them and add rose to the afghan too ?

julie: i bought one more robin egg skein and there were about 4 left at the store. i love the colour and its for a wedding gift so i am blitzing through all the 'rose'/robin egg squares first to make sure i dont run out:) good thing i was perusing the red heart website or i wouldnt have even known about it being dc. what a shame, its a gorgeous colour. exactly like a robin's egg. the 'green' squares i am doing in white and the ecru keeping it ecru. just want to get it all done!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barb -

Yea, the squares are supposed to be 7 inches square . Not to make you pull out all that work, but it might be worth it to try and get it closer to a square . If all your others turn out square, that one will be hard to fit in . Which one was it, and was it 10 inches WIDE across, or did you make it 10 inches long ?

Clocke

Your colors sound pretty ! It'll be neat to see them together .

Trish, you're on the home stretch now, and yes, your colors will be nice together ! Can't wait to see a photo ~

Jana

Yes, I like the robin egg blue too . I used it as one of my colors in my flower garden afghan . Too bad they're getting rid of it, it was so different !

Julie - my chain was almost 10 in.:eek ...i made the ch a little tighter with the 5mm hook, it's now just shy of 7 in. and am finishing the sq. with a 4.5mm hook. I'm going in order, it's the sc sq. hope this way helps

Hey Barb

That sounds better. Do you usually crochet loose ?

And what type yarn are you using ? Some of it is thicker, making the squares bigger , but they should still be as square as possible .

I think mine turned out 8 inches using Red Heart yarn, but with SS, they turn out smaller since it's a thinner yarn .

Keep us updated ! :)

Julie - yup i crochet loose, and when the instructions said ch LOOSLEY i did TOO loose LOL but i think it's fixed :) i'm using Bernat Big Value yarn a 4.5mm hook is almost too sm. for it but it works:hook

Hi everyone,

Well heck, when I clicked to "join" in to make the 63 Sqs CAL, the site to fill out the form was down.:eek I've spent hours looking at all the wonderful finished 63 Sqs afghans! :manyheart They are just wonderful and I WANT TO MAKE ONE! Because there are posts about this CAL, I "think" it is ok for me to locate the booklet and start making the 63 squares? Is that ok? :think . My son gets the first one I make! He's getting a new bedroom set and now I have to make him the 63 sqs! Hummmm, I'd better get busy:hook

Please email me back to let me now if it is ok for me to jump right in the CAL with you before I fill out the form. I'll be anxiously waiting for your "OK".

Crochet Hugs,

Hi Joyce !

Sure it's ok -- jump right in and get your booklet and yarn . Donna is away on maternity leave right now ( she's the one who set up the web page and join form ), so I have kinda been filling in here til she gets back .

You don't have to sign up anyplace, just drop in and tell us what colors you're using and go for it ! :)

If you have any trouble, let us know- we are here to help if you need it !

Barb

I hope the smaller hook works for you. If all your squares come out 8 inches, that will be fine, just try to get them as close to the same size as possible , just so they're square -- the joining will be much easier !

Keep up the good work -

Hi everyone, :U Thanks for letting me join in with you all. I ordered the booklet last night and should get it in a week. :eek, I hope. As for the colors? My first 63 sqs afghan will be for my grown son, BJ. He loves the afghan that's done in Country Blue, Dk Sage and Victorian Rose but will use a darker Rose - - more for a man. How many skeins total are there? Talk later.

I order the 63 squares book last night. I can't wait to get it. :U Thanks for the help oin the amount of yarn needed.

Joyce (texapan)

Woohoo! 1 down, 62 to go. :lol Got the sc square finished up and am working on the trinity stitch square. Those beginning instructions on the trinity were a mite confusing...

I had a question...I'd be interested in joining, but does one have to use the colors specified in the book? I'd like to make this afghan for a friend for a wedding present, but I'd like to do it in dark blue, light blue, and white, as blue is her favorite color...PAM

Wonderful! I think this is going to be a wonderful present for her...

I tried to fill out the "Join Form" for the crochet-along, but I see the site is down...PAM

Hi Pam -

Yes, Donna was the originator of this thread, but is on maternity leave now ,so I'm kinda keeping an eye on things while she's away . You don't have to bother with the sign up -- you're in !

Drop in and keep us posted on your progress or if you have any questions, etc .

Hey there Pam! :hi Welcome!

Trinity square is done. :) Now working on the chevron relief.

When y'all are doing the edging, do you use the same hook on all the squares? I used an f-hook for one square, an i-hook for another, but I think I'm going to stick to the f-hook for all the edging, no matter what size hook I use for the square's insides. What have y'all done for that?

Well, I started on Square #1, and may we pause here to say...YAWN. Nothing worse than non-stop sc. I'm using Caron Simply Soft, as I like their Country Blue shades. I'd never used this yarn before...it's wonderful! As I tend to crochet on the tight side, I'm finding that I need to use a J hook to do the starting chain and an I hook for the actual square. I made the mistake of peeking ahead. The Trinity Square looks positively frightening...PAM

Archived