Problem making visors/brims

kabukiprincess

Question

Hia, I'm having real problems making visor beanies. I purchased the visor beanie pattern from croshaydesign.com but can't get it to stand. If anybody could give me some advice or show me another pattern similar to this one I'd be soooo greatful! I saw a picture in another post from crochet today magazine that looks like it might be useful but I can't get hold of it in the uk. Anybody willing to pass on or sell a copy please let me know :)

Thanks for your time

P.S.

I'm a newbie to crochet so please make things insultingly simple

7 answers to this question

Hia, I'm having real problems making visor beanies. I purchased the visor beanie pattern from croshaydesign.com but can't get it to stand. If anybody could give me some advice or show me another pattern similar to this one I'd be soooo greatful! I saw a picture in another post from crochet today magazine that looks like it might be useful but I can't get hold of it in the uk. Anybody willing to pass on or sell a copy please let me know :)

Thanks for your time

P.S.

I'm a newbie to crochet so please make things insultingly simple

the best way to make the brim stand away from the beanie is by using what I call "punch Needle crochet" :rofl

it is just about using Front Post Single Crochet to force the brim stitches to go straight out from the hat rather than just hanging down from the hat.

Here is a site that shows how to make a FPdc but the SC is just as easy and you don't need to start with a yarn over

http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/stitches-fpdc-bpdc.htm

The "post" stitches are a good thing to add to your "I can do this in crochet - list"

Some people have trouble with Post stitches, trust me... if you just do what it says when it seems to make no sense it will work.

I'll subscribe to this if you need help again

One other trick... use hdc at the edges to get more distance so the hat can go 'round' your head but the brim stays out.

I'll see if I can post some pics of all of this

It took me a while before I worked up the courage to try fpdc and bpdc stitches in anything. To me they didn't make sense. Then I saw this sweater pattern with ribbing made by using fpdc and bpdc alternately. I just gritted my teeth and slowly gave it a try until I could finally recognize when it was a front post and when it was a back post. Several "frogit's" later I GOT IT. I've since finished the sweater and I love it.

It took me a while before I worked up the courage to try fpdc and bpdc stitches in anything. To me they didn't make sense. Then I saw this sweater pattern with ribbing made by using fpdc and bpdc alternately. I just gritted my teeth and slowly gave it a try until I could finally recognize when it was a front post and when it was a back post. Several "frogit's" later I GOT IT. I've since finished the sweater and I love it.

That is what got me hooked on them too. i saw an "Aran" Sweater that I just had to have. They are the best thing since sliced cheese in my book.

Are Front Posts and Back Posts really that intimidating? I gave them a whirl just for gee-whiz sake from the SnB book, and ended up with a nice large trivet I gave my sister for when she uses her huge casserole dish.

It's great that you mastered fpdc and bpdc stitches so quickly. I sure wish I were that talented. Maybe in my NEXT life :lol . But for now it seems I have to struggle a bit with each new stitch and craft I add to my repertoire. Of course once I finally GET IT, I feel very good about my accomplishment and a bit more courageous when I come across something else I want to tackle.

Does any body have a pattern for a visor? As I'm new to this I'm not that good at improvisation yet. Thank you for the link to the tutorial, I'll have a go this weekend :)

basically, for a visor, you begin with that row of FPsc that I mentioned. Make the visor as wide as you would like it to be. do what works for you.

for the first couple of rows. work hdc in 3 stitches at each edge and sc in the middle stitches. You may want to do a decrease on the 2nd hdc...

after it is just about where you want it, work a sc dec stitch at each end with sc in the middle for about two rows and Break off and tidy your ends.

It really is that simple.

Archived