Wilton dyes

Jan-Knit

I've been playing with Wilton colors. Here are a couple I did this weekend.

Violetsmall.jpg

Donegal Irish Wool (recycled) hand-dyed with Wilton Violet

2002-1.jpg

Lion Wool (Winter White) hand-dyed with Wilton Teal

Your yarn turned out beautiful. What kind of Wilton dye did you use. Our local craft, etc. stores only carry one kind; It's main ingredient is sugar/corn syrup. Is this what you are using.

I tried ordinary food coloring, and vinegar. It faded, badly, in the first rinse.

Your yarn turned out beautiful. What kind of Wilton dye did you use. Our local craft, etc. stores only carry one kind; It's main ingredient is sugar/corn syrup. Is this what you are using.

I tried ordinary food coloring, and vinegar. It faded, badly, in the first rinse.

Yes, that's the one! That tiny bit of sugar will wash out in the rinse and the color is so concentrated that it make a beautiful dye for protein fibers. As for the food coloring, what fiber did you use? If it was cotton or other plant fiber, it will not hold the acid dyes. Did you heat set it? If not, it would rinse out. There are a few steps involved in dying your yarn.

Knitty.com has a great article about dyeing your own yarn in the most current issue. Let me know if you have more questions...I'm glad to help! :D

Did you heat set it? If not, it would rinse out. There are a few steps involved in dying your yarn.

Knitty.com has a great article about dyeing your own yarn in the most current issue. Let me know if you have more questions...I'm glad to help! :D

No, I guess that was the reason. Thanks for the link too. That is a cool site and the article is perfectly understandable. I am going to try again.

• 2 weeks later...

I got bit by the dyeing bug again...here's what I did yesterday!

rainbow1sm.jpg

These are 35-yard recycled wool skeins all in Wilton's to become a rainbow bag soon.

cashmere3sm.jpg

Recycled Cashmere in Wilton Aqua for my shop.

tealviolet3sm.jpg

Recycled Irish wool in Wilton's Teal, Violet and natural.

grapes4sm.jpg

Recycled wool in Grape (Kool-Aid) for my shop.

Archived