Changing color in foundation chain.

suzidemars

Question

Does anyone know where I can find a pic of how sc into my foundation chain where I changed colors? I got the chain part fine, but going back and forth I'm not sure I'm picking up the colors at the right point because they sort of zig-zag with each row. I'm making afghans for my little people, and my 7 yr old wants an American Flag..... who wants to screw that up!?!?! :think

7 answers to this question

It does help thanks, but I guess I sorta ended up asking 2 questions at once. I am ok making the chain, then when I go back over to make my 1st row, the part where the 2nd color comes in gets real loose and I almost can't tell where to go into the loop. Then as I go thru my rows, each time I get to that part I'm not sure I'm picking up the red / blue at the right points because it should be a straight line transition not zig-zag correct? Here is the pattern I am using, the 2nd one down from Annie's Attic. Boy I hate being new at things! :blush

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/nov01_proj.html

I have never had to make a starting chain with 2 colors...seems like it could be difficult! Seems to me the flag would be easier if the pattern started at the bottom, lol.

It sounds like you are past the beginning now, but I wonder if using the foundation sc would have helped there? The summer issue of Interweave Crochet has an excellent short article explaining how to do this. Basically you ch 2, do an extended sc into the second chain from hook, then make extended sc into the bottom of the first extended sc, and so on. Obviously I am not able to describe it well at all:eek but maybe you can look at the magazine. I did find this online also http://www.crochetme.com/hangin-tough-a-highly-subjective-primer-on-crochet-drape-and-hook-size The section on the foundation sc is about halfway down the page. It talks about adding a chain at the bottom of the sc, which is what an extended sc is.

As far as keeping a straight line on the color change, since the stitches have a little slant to them, there may be a bit of a zigzag when you look closely. But it is probably not something that anyone else would notice when it is finished.

Hope the project goes well! :cheer

I think you just gave me a great idea! I think I'm too new at this to use the foundation sc but I bet I could attempt backwards alright....... everything else I do seems backwards why not!!!! :blush:eek

Good luck with the backwards approach:clap Seems like it should work.

If you are interested in the foundation stitches, the Interweave article really does make it easy. Nothing else I have seen described it to where I could easily do it, it seemed a struggle. That article made it a snap.

Most of the patterns for flags say to make the long red and white stripes (start at the bottom) first, then for the short ones you only crochet part way across and turn. When the stripes are done, you crochet a blue rectangle and sew it into the space. Crochet the stars and sew them on. Some even have a gold border around the whole flag. Does this make sense?

Ellie 13

Archived