How do I make button holes?

acraftylady

Question

8 answers to this question

:cheer Are you ussing SCs on the border?

I just made a band on a cardigan yesterday and I was starting the buttonholes from the bottom of the front so I did about 6 SCs, then I did CH2, then SK next SC and work the number of SCs as per the pattern to the next buttonhole and do the same again. Hopefully the last buttonhole ends up close to the top because you will do at least one more round of SCs. When you get to the buttonhole on the next row work just 1SC into the CH2 SP.

This makes a very nice buttonhole for whatever button size you use. Remember not to use a button which is wider than the band.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

PS, If you want a bigger buttonhole, just do more CH3, SK 2 stitches and then work 2SC into the CH SP on the next row. Dont go too big though because buttonholes stretch.

Yes if you look at the pattern I am at the part that says edging and it says SC. The finished one has two buttons at the top about 1 inch apart. I still have to go get the buttons. Makes sense what you say to do so I will try that. How do I sew the buttons on? Mary

I just got done making buttonholes on a top I finished. They had me measure 1/2" from the bottom and the top and mark those spots. Then I measured evenly from there the number of buttons that I wanted in the middle. I had to use 7. When you have your spots marked, sc to first marker, chain 3, skip 3 sc's then sc to the next marker and do the same thing. Do another round of sc around garment.

I sewed mine on with thread. Yarn tends to be to hard to get through the tiny holes on the buttons.

I don't don't why patterns don't give details on buttonholes. They're so confusing the first time.

Buttonholes are usually created by crocheting a small chain that skips over a number of stitches. Skipping creates the button hole.

However, I have seen patterns with "holes" in the pattern that were used for button holes.

I usually just sew on buttons with matching thread.

:eek Whatever you do, dont use Velcro on knitting.:eek

You will spend half your time un-hooking it from the knitting which will make the knitting look fluffy after a while.

:devil That is my opinion anyway.:devil

Dont worry too much about getting buttons first because the buttonholes will always stretch to fit the button plus, you wont want them to be bigger than the width of the band.

:eek So speaks the voice of experience.:eek

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived