Carry yarn

barbi495

Question

I am working on a baby blanket and the instructions say to carry the previously used yarn along with the new yarn before changing colors again. How do I do this without crocheting with the old color? :eek

Thank you.

4 answers to this question

If you look up tapestry crochet on the web you should be able to find pictures of the above explanation. The explanation in happy hooker was clear enough for me to get the gist so must by default be easily understood.

You hold the yarn that you're carrying over taut along the row of stitches you're crocheting onto. Then just crochet over it. It will mask MOST but not quite ALL of that yarn.

I always mentally envision the yarn I'm carrying over as part of the row of stitches I'm crocheting onto.

It took me a little while to get the hang of it. The SnB book kept using food metaphors to describe the process in the tapestry crochet section, and I guess that distracted me!

~ Joy

I always had the best results when I carried it just behind the top of the row of stitches and I tried to leave it rather loose so that it did not restrict the natural give of the crocheted fabric.

Archived