How to attach whiskers

secretstasher

Question

I have made some animals and would like to add whiskers using fishing line. The animal is not intended for children so no worries there. But I have the line and I have woven it through but my mate was stroking the whiskers on this toy and one came out.

How do i get the whiskers to stay put. as the toy now looks one sided after she pulled one half of the whiskers out my accident.

The animal is K*&^ted so I have used wool. and it is stuffed with polyester.

Any answers would be greatly appreaciated yours Sian xxxxx

7 answers to this question

Sorry, but I'm a big fan of Super Glue just for certain additions to crochet

and if it doesn't EAT the fishing line... I'd dip the ends into the glue at the

tip of the container and make sure you already have a "hole" ready to insert

it into. You can get a hole by putting a large needle down into the spot you

want it to go into. I also use Fabritak a whole lot.... replaces hot glue and

works miracles!!!! Both can be found at Walmart... the FabriTak in the craft-glue section. Good luck!!

Do test the superglue on some of the fishing line before trying to attach it to your toy... As peggytoes mentioned, superglue can eat (melt) right through some type of plastic! So test it on a spare piece first, let it dry thoroughly, and then inspect it to make sure the line is still intact :)

Use a long double strand of the fishing line. Use a needle to pull it through to the other side of the muzzle. Then tie a knot close to the muzzle on each side. It shouldn't pull through because there will be knots on both sides.

I would thread it through and leave a "tail" on the one side, and go through back and forth at least 7 times, ending on the opposite side of where I left the "tail" then clip both tail ends to the required length. I would think the tail bits left on each side would be quite secure by then having been threaded through several times in opposite directions. ?????

I use the old-fashioned tailor tack method. Cut yarn slightly larger than you need, make a small stitch leaving a tail, then do a back stitch over the same stitch, leave another tail then cut yarn. The back stitch reinforces the whiskers and should not pull out. When you use crochet thread, quilting thread, or carpet thread for whiskers, you can put some clear nail polish on to stiffen the whiskers. Rose

Archived