Names for your designs

For those of you who design your own patterns (or just crochet animals/dolls), how do you choose names for your creations? They always seem to have the perfect names. I have a terrible time picking names for anything. I had my pet parakeet a month before I finally named him (Alfie).

I like to play with words or with well worn phrases that people know and can relate to.

Sometimes, the yarn just says what it wants to be as it did recently with my Raspberry Frappe; other times, I play with the words I like around a theme.

Sometimes, a name hits (sometimes I settle for a boring name), sometimes my daughters help...once my husband helped. My pencil topper he called 'Pencil Neck Geek'.

Occasionally, I have a contest to name a design, those are always fun...think I'll have to have one soon.

Sally

For my christening sets, I have been going through baby name books and trying to find "just the right" name. I've even put out a poll here on the 'Ville for a pattern that is going to be available soon (for free). For the others, I might ask for help from my friends and from the Villagers here, or as I'm designing sometimes the name just "jumps out" at me. I've also known some designers to name things after the stitch they've put into the piece.

Archived