Crocheting with Knitting Needles

I was watching an episode of Knitty Gritty yesterday on HGTV and they were showing how to do a needle holder by crocheting single and and treble crochet stitches using a pair of knitting needles. The pattern was by Lily Chin. Lily was also showing how fast she can crochet. It was pretty neat. Just thought I would mention it.

Are you sure it was crochet? I believe there was a thread about that Chin episode not too long ago and consensus was she was knitting.....

She was using two knitting needles and used a crochet cast on and it basically a bind off stitch that looked very much like a single or treble crochet - she said that when in the middle of a crochet project she lost her hook and improvised a way to create the same crochet stitch using her knitting needles. It looked like crochet. I just found it interesting.:interest

Yeah, I mean, that's just weird. How could Lily Chin not have a back-up crochet hook? That sounds silly to me.

Maybe she was just trying to show that knitting and crocheting are sisters, and that knitters should give crocheting a chance or something?

I will say, the very first time I bound off, I looked at it and said, "Dang, that's a sc stitch!", so maybe that had something to do with it. I'll have to see if my DVR still has yesterday's Knitty Gritty on it.

I saw that and while it was fascinating to watch her "crochet" with knitting needles, I couldn't help but wonder why you'd want to do that. It was so much slower than actually crocheting! I knit too, but when I want or need to crochet, I want a hook!

I saw that and while it was fascinating to watch her "crochet" with knitting needles, I couldn't help but wonder why you'd want to do that. It was so much slower than actually crocheting! I knit too, but when I want or need to crochet, I want a hook!

Wanda - I agree. I thought the concept was interesting and it does a good job of showing how the 2 arts are closely related. But I don't see a real practical need for it. Basically she was just teaching how to crochet, but using needles instead of a hook. What's the point? Why not just get a hook?:think

• 6 months later...

I have recently tried knitting, just enough to say I could do a dishcloth or something, and I've been thinking... What they need for helping to speed up knitting, is a crochet hook on one end, and a pointed needle on the other end. Use two of these, and use the hook to catch the yarn, and knit it onto the needle end. It's hard to describe on here, but it might make knitting faster, more like crochet. You might imagine a pair of straight knitting needles, and instead of a stopper at the end, put a hook on both, and then as you go from one to the other needle/hook, you have a hook to use to knit with. Oh well... I prefer crochet, but do like to knit from time to time too. :)

Victoria

Archived