Sock Monkeys - please explain??

Yes, it'd definitely a retro/nostalgia thing! For those of us who are [ahem] of a certain age :D , the sock monkey may help us remember the security of sitting on grandma or grandpa's lap, for example. (For others, it brings back memories of the boogie-man!)

And, they were incredibly soft, as I recall. :yes

Susan

Plastic bags :lol I forgot about that. My Nana would wash them out and hang them on the line to dry. We used to take our lunch to school in them.

Oh, I'm so glad i wasn't the only one. I deleted the post because I thought it was too far out, but man oh man, the bread bags, twist ties and BUTTONS we found. I wish I'd have known 10 years ago what I know now, I could probably use those buttons.

ok you guys brought up the plastic bag thing...so i am throwing in my 2 cents...my mom used to keep the bread bags and put them on my feet when i went out sledding. oh how embarressing!!!!!!

so imagine my horror when i drop my daughter off at my grandmothers for a couple of hours and come back to find her in the back playing in the snow with.......plastic bags rubberbanded to her legs. ugggg i could not get them off fast enough but my daughter did not seem to care she was playing in the snow and having fun!!!! but YUCK!

I remeber when I was little a sock monkey that my sisters and I named Henrietta, I was just a little bit scared of that ugly thing. I wouldn't even consider making one for my children. I would cherish something handmade, but those things are just a bit freakish to me, just my humble opinion, don't mean to offend anyone who likes them.

I never had a sock monkey, but I like the look of them, I think they're cute. Someone posted some links a few pages back and that site has kits to make your own monkey. I just bought four, one for each of my kids.

FYI: I saw Monkey kits at my local Hobby Lobby, and they're about $10 ea just for 4 socks and the instructions. They sell the plastic beads and the stuffing separately, because it's in the same aisle as the teddy bear kits, etc. Rhionna: If you send me the money--including the shipping--I can get a kit for you...I don't know if the previously-mentioned site ships to Italy or not, but if they don't I can help you out. :D

ok you guys brought up the plastic bag thing...so i am throwing in my 2 cents...my mom used to keep the bread bags and put them on my feet when i went out sledding. oh how embarressing!!!!!!

so imagine my horror when i drop my daughter off at my grandmothers for a couple of hours and come back to find her in the back playing in the snow with.......plastic bags rubberbanded to her legs. ugggg i could not get them off fast enough but my daughter did not seem to care she was playing in the snow and having fun!!!! but YUCK!

Sorry I am not sure I understand this as we dont get snow here. is this t keep her feet dry?

Re the monkeys it seems people have a love hate relationship with them, you eithor love em or hate em.:lol :lol

Sorry I am not sure I understand this as we dont get snow here. is this t keep her feet dry?

Re the monkeys it seems people have a love hate relationship with them, you eithor love em or hate em.:lol :lol

yes it is supposed to keep her feet dry. now i purposly did not bring her snow boots because i did not want her outside!!! guess my plan backfired. gram and daughter always find a way around everything!

Cupcake just so you know, you don't put the bags on and that's all.

You put socks on, maybe even two pairs, then the bags, then shoes or boots.

:)

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Thanks for that as that was my interpretation. I was imagining this child running arround with Tip Top multigrain bread bags on her feet. I was thinking this was so you could slide about. We used to slide down the grass in the summer with the hose running and sit on a plastic bag. This was when we were allowed to use hoses.

I have seen young blokes down the beach here, go out in the surf with a garbage bag on a leg or an arm to cover the plaster from a break. I guess there is no stopping some people.

Archived