Can someone help me please

My son is going to send me some crochet magazines from the States but he has no idea where to get them from, he has just moved to Tampa Bay so does anyone know where he could go so I can tell him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Cheeka,

Tell your son to go to a bookstore like Barnes and Noble ,(which you can do online ,also) or to a store thats sells newspapers as they usually sell magazines also. Have him check out craft stores by using the yellow pages as they have both magazines and pattern books. You can also download free patterns off the internet.

Mathwizard:)

Any of the major craft stores. Michael's, Jo Anns, A C Moore - they all have magazine racks and he can always ask one of the sales people for help.

It's so great that you're able to get the mags!!!

Your son most likely will have to visit several stores, because crochet magazines generally are few and far between -- certainly not as ubiquitous as quilting or knitting publications. Bookstores such as Barnes & Noble, BooksaMillion, and Border's sometimes have one or two crochet magazines on their newsstands. Chain craft stores, such as Joann's MIchael's, and Hobby Lobby, may also have one or two. And, sometimes Walmart will have a couple. Another possibility is Publix supermarkets.

Crochet magazines are a hit-or-miss proposition; however, crochet pattern books and leaflets are quite plentiful at the craft stores listed above, as well as at Walmart stores. Leisure Arts is perhaps the largest crochet pattern publisher and their publications are easy to find at these stores. You might want to check them out at leisurearts.com then give your son a list of those you're interested in.

Magazine titles he could look for:

Crochet Today (my current favorite)

Crochet!

Crochet World

Interweave Crochet

Magic Crochet (though I think I heard that may be kaput)

Annie's Attic (small, digest-size format)

My book stores are stingy with their crochet magazines. I almost never find any at Borders. Barnes and Noble is getting just as bad. That's not to say don't have him try. You never know. Just wanted you both prepared in case he doesn't find any there.

If there is a Books a Million by him, have him try that. I have better luck there. Tell him to look for:

Hooked on Crochet

Annie's Favorite Crochet

Books a Million is the only place I can find those two (soon to merge into one magazine).

The other magazines for him to look for are:

Crochet!

Interweave Crochet

Crochet World

Crochet Today

Have him look in any of these stores he might have; Michaels, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabric, AC Moore, and local yarn stores.

You (or he) can look up yarn stores here:

http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/interest.php?brandID=KNITTING_SHOPS

Don't forget grocery stores. Big chains like Wal-Mart, Vons, Safeway, Kroger, Pulix, etc.

I've not had much luck with Target although I did see the current Interweave there the other day for the first time. Kmart seems to have gone way down in magazines overall.

Hope that helps some. :)

*Afghanic posted while I was writing. lol*

If he's living in the states, why not have him subscribe to the ones you want and then he can just pack them up and send them on to you? Easier than driving all over looking for 'em... :D

If he's living in the states, why not have him subscribe to the ones you want and then he can just pack them up and send them on to you? Easier than driving all over looking for 'em... :D

Probably cheaper, too. :)

Thank you for all your replies, I'm not to bothered about his having to drive around I've had to do it for him enough times lol :lol. I will subscribe to a few magazines but I wanted to have a look at them first to see which one's I liked better.

If anyone know of a few good yarn stores in Tampa Bay area would be great, my soon to be DIL is going over in June to see my son and I can have her go shopping for me :shop

I think is this a great idea!! Annies Pattern or Annies Crochet are both good. Depends on what you're looking for. Liesure Arts is also good.

One other person here suggested you give him a list of what kind of patterns you are looking for. But check on-line for a list of books. Also sign up for the on-line newsletter TALKING CROCHET WITH CAROL ALEXANDER. Oh and http://www.maggiescrochet.com/ will have books you can order.

Hi! I live/lived in the Tampa Bay area near Clearwater, and have found most of my magazines at Borders. They have Crochet Today, Interweave Knits & Interweave Crochet, Knit 1, Vogue Knitting, and some others that I can't think of. I've found some at Publix (a grocery shop), Michaels, JoAnn Fabrics and of course Wal Mart.

Hope this helps! :hook

Archived