Gauge

OK I Haven't ever really 'messed' with the gauge. I haven't ever made anything that was wearable (except my moms neck warmers) that was fitted. Why do patterns say gauge is SO IMPORTANT? If like for example I am making a purse does it really matter? I always tend to buy extra yarn (save the receipts) so that if I do need more I have it or if not I take it back and trade for the next project. Can anyone tell me why Gauge is so important?

I'm the same as you. I think the gauge is only meant for showing you how they came up with the size they made. At least that's what makes sense to me. My gauge is NEVER the same as the ones in patterns say. I don't mind though, because I never make anything that it really matters with.

I guess if you crochet very loosely, and the pattern is for a clutch purse, you could end up with a tote bag. Ok, I'm not good at putting this in words, but I may crochet differently (looser or tighter) with the same size hook, making my work a different size than yours. Also, if you use a lighter or heavier yarn, it can throw off gauge. A lot of times, I never bother, but some things do make a difference.:D Was that clear as mud???:think

My take on gauge is (this is for wearables, I rarely check gauge for anything else.), say your swatch is supposed to measure 4" wide and 4" high with 15 dc and 5 rows. Your swatch measures 4 1/2" x 4 1/2". If your begining stitch count is 120 stitches you would be 4" wider than you were supposed to be. (8-15 stitch sections at 1/2" larger equals 4") Same goes for the height or length. The reverse is also true....if your swatch was 1/2" smaller your finished garment would be 4" too small...So the moral of this confusing story is....gauge does matter!

I'm sure that was as clear as mud!

So I get it that gauge matters if it is something that you are going to wear and that you really want it to fit *S* but for something like a purse? no biggie? right???

I would also think that gauge would matter when it comes to amounts of yarn or thread is needed for a project. Especially if you come to the end of your yarn before the end of the project.

For things like scarves, afghans, pot holders, etc,gauge really isn't of paramont importance. For garments, it is very important. Let say you want to make a sweather. You want a size small. The gauge given ( this is totally made up) is 10 stiches and 5 rows= 4nches. You follow the pattern as it is written, making no adjustments, becuase you didn't bother with making sure you were working to the gauge. You have yarn you like, it isn't the yarn "recommended " in the pattern. You have a hook, so you make the sweather...after many hours it's done. You're happy unitl you try it on, and it's waayyy waaayyy tooooo bbbiiigggg!!

Had you swatched your yarn and checked the gauge you would have seen that using your yarn and your hook, 5 stitches and 2 rows = 4 inches. So your garment turned out twice as big as you wanted it to be. Had you swatched and checked your gauge against what the pattern said, you could have either changed yarn, changed hook, or adjusted the pattern or all three in order to get the correct finished size. Garments are made to the gauge given. x amount of stitches and rows = x amount of inches. If you don't crochet to the gauge, or adujust the pattern to fit your swatch, your finsihed product will be either too large or too small. It takes some time at the start, but it is better to spend an hour or so at the beginning than to have a finished item you can't use or have to frog.

Got it. If my mother the Knitter ever saw this post she would say "NOW GINA!!! you know better than that!!:lol" OK I get the picture. If and When I decide to make a wearable item that size matters I Promise all of you that I will do a swatch FIRST

Archived