kinds of crochet classes

Whenever I see class lists at yarns stores, there is rarely more than beginning crochet. If you could take a crochet class what would you be interested in? Would you want a specific project like crochet hats etc., or a technique type of class? Or a combination? What do you think? Stormy

As far as a technique class one on socks (or would that be a project class?) or tunisian/crohook, whatever it is you're supposed to do with the double ended hook things..... (mostly because I have no idea on either subject...)

I think the CALs here can be great as 'classes' for projects....

A class on finishing projects (blocking, seaming, weaving in ends), a class on sweaters (picking patterns and yarn, sewing pieces together), perhaps a class on thread crochet (could be crocheted snowflakes near Christmas), how to crochet using roving, how to read crochet charts, specific projects could be cool also. Especially small "make and take" projects. Also, ergonomics for crocheters and other needle crafters. Oh, and felting.

Hope that helps!

Linda Y

Some more ideas:

*Crochet jewelry/beading with crochet

*"Shaping" -- how to alter patterns for size

*Intarsia

*Filet

*Lace

*Design (the basic ingredients in design: making shapes, determining end sizes, etc.)

*Vintage Crochet

hmmm, very good question, Stormy. Lots of good replies also. Guess some of the things I'd want to learn are:

*afghan/tunisian stitch

*crocheting w/ wire (like the wire gauges info, I know it should be simple, but my pea brain somehow doesn't want to grasp it).

*more info on converting a crossstitch pattern to a graphghan/converting a picture to a graphghan.

*designing

*beading

*a class on the less "normal" stitches. like front post/back post (recently looked up the correct way to do those because I'd never used them and saw the front post stitch in a pattern I wanted to try) or some of the combinations of stitches for a certain affect (when I was first starting long ago, remember some patterns just presumed you knew how to make a certain stitch and I had to try to find it)

*socks might be a nice class

*alterating items/garments

*how to make your own hooks (using the tools to get the hook shape)

*when was younger,or starting out, had no idea of the different types of yarn being what they are. So how about a class on that...the different sources for it (wool and the diff sources, cotton, acrylic, silk, etc), what you can use each type for (ex: wool isn't good for dishcloths...I know someone, not me, who tried that before),

Sandy hushing now

Lot of good ideas here.

I would like a tapestry crochet class and something that goes in-depth with tunisian. I've got the basic afghan stitch down and can do bobbles and things but would like more. The different methods for color changing would be good too.

I think I would be more inclined to take a class on a technique than on a project.

I like to design filet crochet . I have done designs from photographs and objects, and I have done scenes from famous movies. I have made some into blouses.

I have always thought I would like to teach it, as it may be tedious, but it is not really difficult.

I like the idea of vintage crochet, and lace, which I do also.

I have thought that it would be so much fun to go to "camp" where there would be nature hikes, etc., as well as many different classes/ workshops. (However, the cost would probably be great, alas.)

I would love to run such a workshop here, and there is even a place to have it where I live. I live in So. California.....

Zuzu:dog :cat

Would love a class on yarns. Could be for crocheters as well as knitters.

But how to pick yarns for a project, how to substitute yarns.....(What do people who are allergic to wool do....) The advantages and disadvantages of certain combinations.....cotton/rayon. wool/rayon.......

How to finish projects...... currently am very interested in different kinds of straps/ handles for purses... (crocheted not the plastic, wood, bamboo forms. )

Altering patterns so that they really fit especially for those of us who are not size 3

nything beyond basic single/ double crochet!

Archived