Ribbons on Baby Afghans??? Safe? Also, do you lay blanket flat before weaving?

Selune

Question

I've done an afghan that has a ribbon run through the entire border. I feel like I should tack it in several spots to prevent the infant from pulling the ribbon and getting her head caught in it. How frequently should I tack it? Is every few posts OK?

Also, does anyone on here recommend to parents that they don't use it as a crib blanket? Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but I keep having these images of them putting the blanket in with the baby and it getting the ribbon wrapped around her head. AACKKK!!

ADDED: Also, when you put your ribbon in, do you stretch the blanket so that the ribbon puckers when it unstretches or do you lay the blanket flat and unstretched and make the ribbon taut before tying the ends? It feels weird to pick it up and feel the edges not have any give because the ribbon is tight, but I think maybe that's just something I'll have to get used to. Does that make sense??? :)

Sorry for all the questions. First time I've tried making a "fancy" baby blanket/afghan.

6 answers to this question

I have made a blanket or two with ribbon in the border. I think I weaved the ribbon over and under every two stitches and I glued the knot of the bows with craft glue. You couldn't tell I had either. I actually just talked to one of the mom's. She said everything on it is perfect. Her baby had never tried to fool around with the bows of the ribbon or pull on it.

Hope that eases your mind a little.

Val

I have made a blanket or two with ribbon in the border. I think I weaved the ribbon over and under every two stitches and I glued the knot of the bows with craft glue. You couldn't tell I had either. I actually just talked to one of the mom's. She said everything on it is perfect. Her baby had never tried to fool around with the bows of the ribbon or pull on it.

Hope that eases your mind a little.

Val

Yes, it does. :) Thanks. So far, I've weaved through, tied the bows at the corners, sewed the mini flowers onto the bows, then tacked the ribbon at all corners and in the center of edges. I think I'm going to go back through and tack between the center and edges, just to be safe. I'll have to post a pic of it. It turned out pretty despite having to tweak the pattern. :)

Archived