Warning about "Simply Spring Top" in May 07 Crochet! mag

Hi, y'all:

In case anyone is thinking about the "simply spring top" in the current Crochet! magazine, here's a warning on size. You can't necessarily tell from the picture, but it is designed to be skin-tight, at least in the small sizes.

After my sad experience making the Mango Mesh pullover in medium and finding it huge, I started this top in size small (for 33.5 bust, which is about right) and after I finished the front and part of the back, I had a premonition and whip-stitched it together and sure enough, my premonition was right: if it does manage to stretch across my not-very-taut-and-kinda-looking-two-months-pregnant abs, it will do so in a very unflattering way. I should have been tipped off earlier by the fact that it needs an open seam and button closure on one side to fit. So, keep this in mind before you start it. Maybe you're all better at looking at the measurements in the diagram and figuring out "Oh! That'll look terrible, I better size up!" but I was again taken by surprise.

I hope this saves someone from pattern agony.

On a positive note, the pattern is pretty easy to understand, even though it's got a weird wave pattern and color changes. Which is encouraging enough for me to stay with it, even though I had to frog most of the front. Plus I'm using Aunt Lydia's Baby Denim (cotton worsted) which is so soft and nice to work with, very pleasant after so much thread and acrylic.

Cheers,

Elissa

Archived