Any Suggestions?

natalie058

I bought some hemp yarn tonite... detail(6) 4oz/250 yd skeins in five different earthy colors (2 cream, 1 mustard, 1 olive, 1 navy, 1 black) and it says worsted weight on the label but i suspect it actually is a bit lighter. It's just beautiful yarn - much softer than i expected and kinda shiny in a way...pricey, yes, but worth it i think... does any one have any idea what i should make with this?

Any idea why my photo was just a red x? Thats why i made a link - hope that works!

Your photo doesn't show here because (we believe) Yahoo doesn't allow hotlinking. That's why we usually suggest photobucket.com to host images, they do allow hotlinking. Of course, it isn't a requirement that you use Photobucket, just a suggestion. The text link you did post works fine, and the yarn is lovely, great colors! I like Elizabeth's suggestion of making a purse or tote with it.

Guest mishakitty78

That hemp yarn is gorgeous! Where did you find it? I have a project right now (a weaving) that I'm working on and I need colored hemp - that would be perfect for it!

As for what you can make from it - what about a belt? I'm using hemp as a stand in for fibers that the Native Americans would've used (I am *not* making that much cord out of the little stringies off of palm trees! too much work!) and I'm doing a belt for a display. There are tons of patterns out there - I bet that'd be fabulous crocheted!

a Belt! What a GREAT idea! never even thought of that... but am loving it! :ty

Anyway, i got the yarn through my work... we order some hemp clothing/bags/hats from this Co., called hemp sisters, i believe... and when i saw they had yarn i freaked and made them order me some. :eek2 Unfortunately, i didn't get the wholesale price and all told, after my store discount and tax, it cost me about $45 for all 6 skeins. :U But, it's actually cheaper than hemp string, and much, much softer, so goes my logic. I'd be happy to help hooking you up with some, but the $$ is a bit of a deterrent, no? lol

Guest mishakitty78

Hmmm.. unless my math is broken (which is possible!) that's about, what, $7 a skein? Not too bad I guess for what I'm planning on doing...But you're right! That is expensive! I'm almost wondering if I could just buy hemp cord and dye it? Maes one wonder. I guess the yarn is different in that it is plied and thicker? That would be nice though!

Thank you for the offer :)) I might just take you up on it when my next paycheck rolls around! That stuff would be great for an ethnic-y dance belt!

I think that hemp cord might not be as nice to touch, possibly a little scratchy... this yarn is really nice to feel, i don't know what else to compare it to though... I worked up a small square of it just cuz i wanted to play with it, and it seems to be very nice and drapey. ( i think i used an "h" hook )

Archived