Noro Hana Silk

JPorter718

Hi everyone!

I have a pattern that I want to make, the Celebrity Look-A-Like Shawl...

But it calls for 10 balls of Noro Hana Silk, and uh, it's kind of, hmm what's the word? EXPENSIVE!! :eek2

What can I use that is similar to the Hana Silk and will give the same texture as the original?

Thanks so much!

I adore that pattern, I have yarn lined up for two of them and i'm still planning three more!! lol. I bought some yarn on ebay for it that is a rayon, cotton, linen blend for spring and summer. And I'm also gonna try it in TLC Amore. Think also might try the Cara Mia and Patons Katrina. I think it would be beautiful in the Lion Chenille as well. Oh I can think of sooooooo many beautiful yarns for that shawl. The most similar yarn as far as weight and drape that I can think of would be a cotton blend like TLC's Cotton Plus. But I'm sure there are some mid-priced yarns out there as well.

The thought of finally getting to start it after Christmas stuff is done is what's keeping me focused right now. I think we should start a crochet along for it, what do you think?????

In love with a pattern!!:)h

~Rebecca

So has anybody tried the pattern ?? I've tried some of the free patterns that look like it and got a bit confused :th :irked

I love the pattern :wowdrool but don't want to buy it and then get more frustrated:th

Hello. I bought two differernt patterns from ebay sellers and have made several of the shawls with both. I've used just about everything including Cascade Sierra (my favorite-and since it's a heavier yarn, I used 2 TTr crochets instead of 3 and used only 4 skeins), Aunt Lydia's Denim, Fiesta's rayon ribbon, and a cotton/linnen slub yarn-can't remember the name of it (by Garn Studios). I've just experimented with different hooks and stitch lengths and I really like the effect of textured yarn with this pattern. Unfortunatley I haven't found anything close to Noro Hana either. I have seen it on ebay occasionally priced at "buy it now" for $89.00 for 10sk. Still pricey but a lot better than $225. If you're interested she has it now in 3 colors.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. My daughter lost my camera and I haven't bought a new one yet (cuz I keep spending my spare change on yarn :D! Is there a Yarnaholics Anonymous?) but i hope to soon. Some I have already given away but i've made a few for Christmas and I'll post them as soon as I get a camera (hopefully in the next week or two but i'll have to force myself to stay away from Fiesta Yarn's warehouse!).

Have you tried the pattern out and if so, what yarns have you used? I'd also love to see any photos you might have!

Angie

I haven't made one yet, I've been making myself wait to buy the pattern till I finished a certain # of WIP's. I just bought it yesterday!!!! The one on StitchDiva's site. I have however already planned out several and purchased yarn for them. Let's see, I've got about 1600 yds of this gorgeous aqua slubbed rayon/linen/cotton blend that I got on ebay (that one is for me for Easter), then I've got 6 balls of RH Cotton Twist: a cotton acrylic blend in powder blue (that one is a gift for a friend's b-day in January), and then I've got a ton of TLC Amore in Lake Blue (that one is also for me). I'd also like to make several more as birthday gifts. For those I'm thinking of LB's Microspun which I've yet to use, Paton's Brilliant, and then another supernice one for me in this yarn, probably either the blueviolet or rosepink color.

The one problem I noticed when I downloaded the pattern yesterday is the size of the thing. It's like 69" wide and 42" long, before fringe!!!!:eek2 I'm 5'4" but at a size 16, and it's still gonna swallow me!!! It gives directions for adjusting the length by changing the length of the base chain though so hopefully it won't drag the ground when I wear it. :lol

I don't have a digital camera either. I'm kinda hoping to get one for Christmas though.

Sounds like you've got some great yarns ready to go. I really like that silk blend too!

The first one I made was for a very petite friend so I started from the bottom instead of the top so I was able to make it perfect for her. I've just continued to do it that way because I know when to stop when I'm using expensive yarn-I don't want to have to go out and spend even more money if I run out. I've also used more than just the yarn for the fringe. I usually combine it with 1/4" ribbon and thread.

I hope you enjoy making it. I was a little frustrated at first but now that I've got the hang of it I'm able to finish one in under 10hrs. fringe and all. Let me know how it goes.

Angie

Archived