Thread sizes

sheryljak

I have charts for yarn & recommended hook sizes. Is there anyone who knows of a chart for thread & recommended hook sizes.

I am actually only familiar with #10, #20 & #30 threads.

Sheryl

Here are the recommendations from an old Magic Crochet Mag I have. You can likely go up or down depending on how you crochet. Most patterns recommend the hook size needed.

thread/hook no.

#3/4

#5/8 (I'd likely use a larger hook than this)

#10/8 (I usually use 6 or 7 hook with #10 thread)

#20/10 (this is about right for #20 for me, sometimes I've used a 9)

#30/10 (I have used a 12 with #30 thread)

#40/12

#50/12

#60/12 or 14

#70/14

#80/14

#100/16

Here are the recommendations from an old Magic Crochet Mag I have. You can likely go up or down depending on how you crochet. Most patterns recommend the hook size needed.

thread/hook no.

#3/4

#5/8 (I'd likely use a larger hook than this)

#10/8 (I usually use 6 or 7 hook with #10 thread)

#20/10 (this is about right for #20 for me, sometimes I've used a 9)

#30/10 (I have used a 12 with #30 thread)

#40/12

#50/12

#60/12 or 14

#70/14

#80/14

#100/16

Samantha,

Thank you. This will help. I had already searched through old magazines and on the net. I appreciate your input.

Sheryl

Its hard to really know for sure cause there are so many brands of hooks now,,, I do not go by what the wrapper says... I go by what my eyes tells me after I crochet a few stitches of the thread I am working with. and it does depends on the stitches as well and the look you are after. ....

for a size 10 thread I have used size crochet hook 00, 0,3, 4,5,6,8, like I said it depends on the thread I use. not all size 10 threads are the same..Yes it says size 10 on wrapper but some feel different slightly than others. :yes

for example....you bought some thread today at where ever....

6 months later you go buy more thread same name brand same size 10 threads. Now its going to be slightly thinner or thicker...:think IT is NOT always the case but it has happened to me many times... same with :yarn yarns... :eek

thats why I buy several or lots of skeins :yarn when I do buy so I have enough to finish my crochet :hook projects...:yay

let us know how it goes...

happy crocheting...:)

Thanks Terry. I am trying to put together some basic charts for my step-daughter as a guide. She's 14 and only last year, after several years (and tears) of trying to teach her to crochet, she finally took to it. She is now crocheting on a regular basis. Mostly worsted weight yarns but has now expressed an interest in thread!

I am responsible for creating yet another addict to this wonderful vice!

Wow, you started crocheting the same time I did. (I started in 1968)

Sheryl

there is a "Reference" forum on Crochetville which lists this plus a few other handy to know topics :)

Archived