Need some advice for a beginner

3roses

I can crochet ANYTHING with yarn but I've so wanted to try a thread bear and then maybe some Irish stuff (it's so beautiful). Can anyone recommend the best way to begin so I don't become throughly frustrated and give up? Like maybe should I try a thread bear pattern with increasing smaller and smaller yarns and eventually threads? That's the only way I feel it might not intimidate me so much if I do something and am successful at it and slowly increase the level of difficulty. Just wonder if anyone else has that experience. I have a CASE of colored threads that are doing nothing so I figure I should start with SOMETHING.:eek

Don't let thread intimidate you. It's really just as easy as yarn, if not in some cases, easier. Read through your pattern. Make sure you understand it. And if you are certain that you could do it in yarn, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to just pick up a smaller hook and some thread and have a go at it. I'm sure once you try it, you'll be hooked! :hook

This thread has some great advice in it: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47346

Good luck!

Thanks that was helpful!

I have a ton of dark-colored thread (deep purple, blue, etc). Do you think it's easier to use a lighter color to start? Or doesn't matter really?:think

Karen, for me the hardest part of thread crohet is the first round. Once you get the 6sc in the second from hook, it gets easier. The only other thing you have to get use to is the tension and how to hold the thread in your hand. I find a lighter color is easier to work on, even in yarn. I use to crochet with thread years ago but haven;t in quite a while. I just made Monique, a thread bear and she came out great. It took me a little longer getting use to the thread but it really isn't hard. Make sure you post when you are done.

Thanks that was helpful!

I have a ton of dark-colored thread (deep purple, blue, etc). Do you think it's easier to use a lighter color to start? Or doesn't matter really?:think

For me, I've never let anything intimidate me in crochet...not even darker colors. For some, lighter is easier. Just kinda go with what works for you. Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner.

Good luck with it!

For me color isn't the problem, as long as you can turn on a light.

Try doing something in thread that you have made in yarn. This way, you know what it will look like and it will help with your confidence with the thread.

Thread is no harder than yarn, just smaller don't let it intimidate you.:hook

I found the best way for me to work with thread is it have a table lamp beside me. It gives me more light to be able to see better.

My first thread project was a Paradise doll. At first I had wondered what I got myself into, but after I got rolling I found it really isn't any different than yarn, just smaller.

Archived