adding crocheted parts to shirts

does anyone know how you would make something like this? would have to crochet the back separately, then sew it on? or is there a way to attach it without sewing? like a slst or something? sorry if this sounds dumb, but I really like the way this looks and I live in these kind of shirts all summer, so I thought it would be cool to add my own personal touch to them....

as always,

Thanks in advance for any input!:)

I wonder if you could use a small steel hook to make your first row around on the fabric to connect your yarn. It's what I do when I make those towel toppers (holders.) I use a small hook to make my holes so I can SC around the top of the towel to begin my towel topper. Anyway that's my idea on how to do it.

Really cute idea!! It will make a great tank top!

I would do the small steel hook thing on the bottom and top of the area you're going to work on then when you do the bottom part you can sew it to the top part and it'd look better than just trying to sew it on with needle and thread.

JM2C

When I do something like this. ( Adding Crochet to a top or whatever ) I like to make the peice to fit, then sew it on. That way when the shirt or what ever wears out I can remove my piece and move it to a new home. I do this for collars, pillowcases, inserts, whatever. If I work directly to the piece than if it gets stained or something I am out my hard work. That just how I like to do this type of thing.

Hi, I've made several blouses by attaching some crochet to woven fabric.

One way is to make the piece first, and sew it on, but you have to make a little hem on the fabric, either before you sew the crochet on, or by folding it after, and hemming it by hand. You can hem it at the same time you are sewing on the crochet, but it is a bit tricky.

I've also made a small hem on the fabric as I am using a blanket embroidery stitch. (or another stitch that catches your fancy as you look at an embroidery book). That leaves a bit of a loop on the fabric that you can then crochet in. (That makes it tricky to remove the crochet when you want to save it but no longer want the blouse, but it is easy to adjust the crocheting directly on the fabric)

Cindy's way is a traditional way, too.

If you are using a knit fabric, as in the photo, that is a bit more difficult, as you have to handle the stretchy quality.

Just do what comes to you, and you will see, it is basically easy!

good luck!

Zuzu

Archived