Yarn defect - boo hoo - update

enmac

I bought a ball of yarn to make a hat. After I had worked a few rows I came across a knot. Unfortunately it wasn't until I finished the hat that I realised the yarn after the knot was a very noticeably different dye lot. :cry

I went back to the store where I bought it and they said because it was a manufacturer's defect they couldn't do anything and I had to contact the manufacturer directly.

:bang

Looking at the label, I'm not even sure who the manufacturer is. All it says is Rozetti punky print, which gets no Google results. :grumpy

I guess I'll go back to the store and see if they can tell me how to contact the manufacturers. :irked

That is terrible. Actually, I hate running across a knot in the middle of a skein of yarn. Usually it has really short ends that you can't weave in and then your piece has a knot in it.

When I run across a knot in my yarn, I always cut and re-tie, so that I have ends to work in... But if there is a change in dye lot..... :grumpy well that just sucks! I would think if that store wants your business anymore, they would do what they can to help you. Surely they could return it to the company that supplied them with it?

Good luck! :f-1

For any Australian crocheters out there, the store was Lincraft.

I guess part of the problem was that I had already crocheted the yarn, so I couldn't return it (unless they wanted a pile of unravelled yarn). Maybe if I had noticed the defect before using the ball, they might have exchanged it. But again I would have had to unwind the ball to find the problem, so I could never have returned it in pristine condition.

But yeah, I've spent a lot of money there in the past few years and now I'm thinking I'll go elsewhere.

Update - I went back to the store today and this time spoke to the manager who told me they could give me a new ball in exchange for the faulty one, or even just for the bad part of the ball. So I just have to unravel the hat and take the resulting pile of yarn back in.

I hope the manager does some re-educating of her staff.

I'm glad they're letting you exchange it. That's frustrating when store employees don't know what they're talking about, since all they have to do is ask.

Archived