Antique Pattern - need thread help

ArdenLynn

I have found a wonderful pattern for a bedspread. It's called Arrowhead and it works into 12 inch squares. Very easy and rewarding and certainly looks like bedspreads my grandma used to do.

The problem is finding the right thread. The one the pattern calls for is no longer made. I used an odd ball of thread (probably Aunt Lydia from Walmart) with a #7 hook and I like the looks but it has an odd feel to it.

I'm looking for more of a natural cotton feel but still need it to be fairly thin. Clear as mud, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a pretty big undertaking and I don't want to get into it and realize I could have made a better choice.

Thanks,

ArdenLynn

Well you have a choice of quality over price.

If you really want to do this where it will last I would recommend DMC Threads. But that would be rather pricey considering the amount of thread needed for a bedspread. I know I have done king size one before.

Or you could go with The Royale Super Size Ball that has 2730 yards on the ball. But the quality isn't near as nice. but definitely more affordable.

Or you can go to Herrschners http://www.herrschners.com/depts/dept.aspx?id=3394 and get their threads on the cones. So far I have been pleased with the quality and the price on these for larger projects.

Hope this helps.

I have found a wonderful pattern for a bedspread. It's called Arrowhead and it works into 12 inch squares. Very easy and rewarding and certainly looks like bedspreads my grandma used to do.

The problem is finding the right thread. The one the pattern calls for is no longer made. I used an odd ball of thread (probably Aunt Lydia from Walmart) with a #7 hook and I like the looks but it has an odd feel to it.

I'm looking for more of a natural cotton feel but still need it to be fairly thin. Clear as mud, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a pretty big undertaking and I don't want to get into it and realize I could have made a better choice.

Thanks,

ArdenLynn

Ok you mention it has a odd feel to it. Wash that square you already did and see how you like the feel of it after washed and dryed.. it should be alot better. sometimes the factory put a stiffner in it to make it easier to crochet,,,but not always the case... same with some of the red heart yarns.....Always softer when you wash it.

If you don't want to wash the one you already made ,,,,then just make a sample piece and wash that one. The stiffner will wash out. If the thread is a little thicker thats good it will last longer thru washings.. Plus the Plus side of it --will be warmer when you are in bed...

All threads are different from one brand to the next. When making something big like you are buy lots of that thread all at once or order off the websites,, so that way you will have all same name brand and dye lots......

good luck,, I cannot wait to see what you are making. could you post a picture of the sqaure you already have done?? What color are you :hook crocheting:hook with?

:manyheart Hi,

When I first started crocheting I decided to make big bedspread (King size),we were locating at Okinawa Island and I did not have enought knowledge and the souce to find right threads to start. All I could find was DMC Baroc (Baroque) it is 75 gr. I used ecru syas size 10 but it is little thicker than regular size 10. Well I had .95 mm. hook I made it. The thread was good to work with and if you like to see outcome here it is, I previously posted this picture on another thread few months ago.

http://usera.imagecave.com/demeteileen/IMG_0579-1.jpg

Demet

:manyheart Hi,

When I first started crocheting I decided to make big bedspread (King size),we were locating at Okinawa Island and I did not have enought knowledge and the souce to find right threads to start. All I could find was DMC Baroc (Baroque) it is 75 gr. I used ecru syas size 10 but it is little thicker than regular size 10. Well I had .95 mm. hook I made it. The thread was good to work with and if you like to see outcome here it is, I previously posted this picture on another thread few months ago.

http://usera.imagecave.com/demeteileen/IMG_0579-1.jpg

Demet

Oh wow,,, I love your bedspread you crocheted~~~

Archived