Great Granny-Along

I'm always making granny squares for some afghan or another. I learned crochet *specifically* to make granny squares. I was deeply offended when Kim Werker said they needed to go on hiatus for any reason.... I'm more than happy to make granny squares until the cows (sheep?) come home, but I've got some mixed feelings over this one....

Well, I appreciate you stopping in and saying hi:D....I wouldn't want anyone doing anything they didn't feel great about... I so fell in love with Alicia's grannies and I am a Posy fan and wanted to do it with her...

I'll be joining in pretty soon. I did start on the No End In Sight Ripple Along to make a full size blanket for my son. Now my daughter's jealous. lol So I'm planning on using the Babette (sp) Blanket pattern and starting that for her since I can't lug around the ripple blanket.

umm i am a little confused :lol doesnt take much :no

are we just making granny sqaures and sharing on here and cheering each other on????

i have just learnt or should i say 'perfected' the granny square after 4 years of knowing how to crochet :yay so while i have the hang of it i am just making them until i get sick of em and move onto something esle :) ....just using my scraps and different colors

Yep a cheering squad...:cheer I get so inspired by the granny flicker groups and blog posts out there... did you click on the link for posy's grannys??? How absolutely beautiful they are!!!

I just recently started reading Alicia's blog http://www.rosylittlethings.typepad.com and I love it!!. it made me want to get into making some awsome granny squares, so I ordered a couple books, "200 crochet blocks" and "101 crochet squares" They are both awesome books. I need yarn though, I don't have a stash , I just started crocheting again recently. (I haven't crocheted in 20 years) so as soon as I stock up on yarn,I am going to be making granny squares like crazy! lol!

its funny i have been searching the web to find different colour combinations in the basic granny square with out much luck :no most things i found were the instructions not colour combo's. looking just for fun to see what other people do :)

now i might be able to some idea's from you guys :yay

I'm with you Clare...I always get stuck with colours...I'm not all that creative. As people can see on my ripple in the ripple along thread.....

I'd like to start some grannies in something new....

I have always in the past made my grannies the reject projects... left over yarns... If I thought of colors it was for a quick pressie... but this time I want something I will totally love...I want my fav color combos with yarns that make me happy... I know what colors I want... and I am sort of leaning towards cotton yarn.. I'm going to go on a yarn feeling field trip tomorrow and just feel yarns to choose what I want...I also want to be bold enough to vary the types of yarn in the granny if I want to ... to give a bit of texture and interest....AND I want to have the confidence to try out a color combo/ textile combo even if it is a flop... at least I tried...

Who knew I could turn a granny into a life moment huh????:hook

Lea,

Now that I know you are playing I'm going to have to play too! I'm going to be busy. I joined the ripple along which I plan to use stash as much as possible. I might *have to* buy yarn for the grannies. Unless I make something with thread:scrachin

here are a few squares that i have made latley. i am just making them out of scrap yarn that i have left over from various projects. i have made 27 squares so far and hopefully make that many again to make a blanket for me.......but if i get sick of em it will be a blanket for a future child of mine:lol so far this baby that isnt even planned and isnt even on the way has 1 blanket already and then this one :lol you can never be too prepared right :think:D and yes i love bright colours :yes

IMG_1158.jpg

Lea, Can we use non traditional grannies? I've been working on some for a fundraiser ghan for church, we have 6 months to raise enough money to buy the land next to us, b/c there is a lot of development going up around the church, and we need more space, we are growing! Praise Jesus! The church started about 5 and a half years ago, in a store front with about 15 people, give or take a few, and now we have a the church building, (moved out of the store front!) childrens building/fellowship hall, and about 150 regulars! YAY!!! So to help raise money, I made a fundraiser afghan 1 1/2 years ago, and this man, he had maby been there 1 time or so (my memory is fuzzy, too early) :D gave his life to Jesus! YAY! :D That was also the day they were going to fundraise the afghan, It was red, white, and blue, with a blanket size white cross in the center. The man who was saved, that afternoon he paid $100 for the afghan! Most people said $25 - $30 (I'm thankful he was saved :D it is just neat that he is the one who bought the ghan ) God does amazing things! I'm doing a similar one this year, same colors, just this time I'm going to use the same square, last time it was like a crazy quilt, all different patterns, and this square starts with a circle, then turns into the granny shape, ( 3dc, ch1) pattern. SO can I do this square here? I have to make something like 77 squares(?) :)

Going back thru and reading and checking the blog links, wow! They have some really neat buttons on their blogs too. I will have to get some more yarn in just the right colors to make some special grannys. They really are amazing! Grannies have always been my favorite. I have this old book, it is called "The Woman's Day Book of Granny Squares and other carrt Along Crochet" copyright is 1975. My grandma gave it to me after she saw that I had learned to crochet. I don't have the outer cover, but the book is red. It's neat. I love vintage stuff.

I've made some progress with my traditional grannies in thread. Still not sure what I will make with them yet.

You can see them on my blog post here as well as an almost finished a lapghan made using a few blocks from 200 Crocheted Blocks. I highly recommend this book.

Clare,

Love your colorful grannies :)

Archived