My Dog Ate My Hook!

So I've been working on making a case for the new bamboo crochet hooks I brought home a couple weeks ago. I had them all nice and safe, packaged inside three bags on my table. The dogs aren't allowed up there, so I figured all was well.

I went to take a shower, and when I was done opened the bathroom door. My little cocker spaniel pranced in, proud as punch, and dropped a "prize" at my feet. She's always giving me her toys.

Well, this time the "prize" was my brand-new, totally unused bamboo "n" hook. She'd mangled the hook and the end, rendering it completly unusable. The bags had been opened, but not torn, and she had systematically picked out the "n" for some reason. None of the others had been chewed.

My little devil dog...I have no idea how she knew it was up there, or why that was the only one she picked. It was quite a Saturday....

:roflI am sorry can't help it. :rofl I had a dog who the only thing he ever chewed was the directions to a crewel work I was doing, that was a ship in full sail. Try piecing that togher:dog You will laugh at this later.:hook

Hi,

I have 5 cat's. One is part maine coon, she has a habit of using the hook I am currently using as either a chin scratcher or chew toy. The problem I have is that I like an older style of hook. She goes in phases. Needless to say I have a habit purchasing more every time I go out. I would be afraid to take inventory at this point. My others like to borrow my hooks and hide them. It would not be so frustrating if they did it to my mom who I live with too. But no it's just a Laurie thing.

Laura

I had a parakeet a few years back, that would sit on my crochet hook, while I was crocheting and would try to grab the yarn away from me as I was working :eek . I loved that birdiebuddy...and miss him.

i have gone through many many crochet hooks and patterns because of my devious dog! i know he just wants attention, but jeez! that stuff gets expensive hook after hook!!! i know what you mean!!!

:roflI am sorry can't help it. :rofl I had a dog who the only thing he ever chewed was the directions to a crewel work I was doing, that was a ship in full sail. Try piecing that togher:dog You will laugh at this later.:hook

LOL! Yes, my knee-jerk reaction was anger, so I kenneled her up until I calmed down. I hadn't even used that hook yet--it was a brand new set I'd gotten on eBay. I had a 50% off coupon to AC moore for Saturday only, so I figured...she just gave me a shopping excuse :)! Unfortunately, they did not have the "n" hook in bamboo...so I went to Michael's. Didn't have it there, either, and our Joann doesn't carry bamboo crochet hooks. That means....a trip to the LYS next weekend! Woo-hoo!

So yes, I'm laughing now. She was so proud of herself for "helping Mommy", and I guess I do crochet when I should be petting her (which in her mind is 24/7).

I have cats and one in particular loves my hooks. Apparently since it is something I play with she thinks it should be a great toy for her too! My coffee table has 2 drawers in it and I make it a conscious effort to put my hook there even if I am just going to get a drink of water! The demon has snatched it in less time in the past and I have never seen it again!

Sorry about your never used hook. Our Boston terrier went through a chewing stage -- knitting needles, crochet hooks, 2 pairs of glasses (DH and older DS tend to leave all over the place), a wool blanket, shoe strings... He seems to be over that stage, but he goes through giant rope chew toys at an alarming rate!

Having pets is kind of like having toddlers in residence. Your childproof to the very best of your ability and then they show you what you've missed.

Archived