Question for those of you who have done fleece blanket edgings

My oldest dd (12 yo) has this fleece blanket that she got from my SIL for Christmas 2 years ago. It's still in pretty good shape, but it's got this thread edging that's literally falling apart.

th_007.jpg th_006.jpg (clicky clicky)

I didn't take a picture of the part that's falling apart, but trust me... it is.

So I had the idea of possibly ripping out all the thread and replacing it with a crocheted edging. My question is this: do you think I could just use the holes already there from the thread edging? Or would I have to figure out some way of poking new holes in it? I ask because I don't know that I can find the right tools around here to actually POKE the holes. But if I CAN use the pre-existing holes, then I'm pretty much good to go.

So whatcha think??:think

You could use yarn and do the blanket stitch around for the edging.

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa120702.htm

Then you can easily crochet a more decorative border on to that.

I have also used the sharp edge of a drawing compass ( gadget I had to have in school to draw circles) to enlarge or make holes in fabrics large enough so I could get a smallish size crochet hook through.

You might want to make new holes every other time, or re-enforce the edge just in case the fleece is worn. Since fleece cannot unravel that would not be a concern but I have had fleece ' shred '. Be sure to work the edge loose enough not to pucker with a yarn or thread that will not shrink.

if the holes are not too close to the edge, I would use the same holes.

They're not that close to the edge - I'd say a good 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch away from the edge, at a guess.

And the blanket isn't really all that worn. Syrina is autistic and doesn't really wear her stuff out like a "normal" kid would. This kid can get £5 shoes from the cheapest store in town and they'll last her a year if she doesn't grow out of them! Sometimes I wish all my kids were like her. :lol

I do a blaket stich with regular arylic yarn using a Needle then I use my regular yarn for the edging. The needle I use is one of those think needles you use for weaving your finished ends in the projects. I would use the holes already made though. You can look at my blog and see a blanket I just finished like that. Hope it helps good luck.

Archived