old technique reminder

Have you ever thought when wanting to design a sweater or baby bonnet or anything, if you have a flat pattern and remove the allowance without cutting up your pattern paper of course, you can crochet to the shape of that paper and then hand sew the pieces together to make whatever you wish in whatever pattern stitch you desire?

I needed a diaper cover pattern and actually did it from a disposable diaper. Unfortunately it was a stretchy diaper, but the results were fantastic, and I didn't need the elastic.

what a BRILLIANT idea! I will be sure to remember this. I have a box of overflowing patterns, most vintage (the best kind :D)

It's an amazing idea!!!!! That's exactly how I made Amber's sweater!

I used her 'hoodie' as a template because it was a perfect slightly big fit. I used a pretty tight st so that it fits her with a little room to grow.

So if you use a tight st - by the time it 'rests' overnight and gets washed and dried (I dry all my RH) My Grandmother, God rest her soul, had the patience to let her swatches rest overnight and handwashed EVERYTHING so she didn't have this problem. She also worked with the OLD Wintuk.

Wouldn't you know it - she doesn't like it! Apparently the arm seams are uncomfy. Oh well, with RH there's not much you can do. I can either sell it, gift it or send it to Moms to be the next family airloom.

Archived