I think I'm allergic..........

to Lion Brand Homespun :eek . This is my second time working with it and both times so far my nose gets really itchy as well as my eyes. I have never had this problem with any other yarns so why does it have to be my fave yarn to work with :cry . I feel as if I should only work with this yarn wearing a surgical mask :lol .

Has anyone else had this problem with Homespun or any other type of yarn?

Try washing it first. It's acrylic, so the fiber itself is non-allergenic, but the sizing on it that is used for finishing might be causing a reaction.

I get that way with some of the RHSS variegated shades.

Just stuff the whole skein in a stocking, tie a knot in the stocking, and toss the whole thing in the washer. Wash on the gentle or hand wash cycle in cold water with a little bit of detergent, then tumble dry on low.

Gets rid of all the store dirt and any sizing on it.

If that doesn't work, maybe some latex gloves from the drugstore? That's what I do when I have to work with wool. I'm terribly, terribly allergic to wool, and even when I work with like Woolease, I get red and itchy if I don't wear gloves (for the record, it was a scarf and a hat for my brother and his boyfriend; no WAY am I dumb enough to try to wear wool anymore. Once, my dad bought me a gorgeous sweater from L.L. Bean, and I tried it on. I couldn't even pull it all the way down before I was begging my mom to pull it off of me. Pout. No felted purses for me. Double pout.)

Yeah, anyway, try washing the offending yarn and see if that helps.

Try washing it first. It's acrylic, so the fiber itself is non-allergenic, but the sizing on it that is used for finishing might be causing a reaction.

I get that way with some of the RHSS variegated shades.

Just stuff the whole skein in a stocking, tie a knot in the stocking, and toss the whole thing in the washer. Wash on the gentle or hand wash cycle in cold water with a little bit of detergent, then tumble dry on low.

Gets rid of all the store dirt and any sizing on it.

If that doesn't work, maybe some latex gloves from the drugstore? That's what I do when I have to work with wool. I'm terribly, terribly allergic to wool, and even when I work with like Woolease, I get red and itchy if I don't wear gloves (for the record, it was a scarf and a hat for my brother and his boyfriend; no WAY am I dumb enough to try to wear wool anymore. Once, my dad bought me a gorgeous sweater from L.L. Bean, and I tried it on. I couldn't even pull it all the way down before I was begging my mom to pull it off of me. Pout. No felted purses for me. Double pout.)

Yeah, anyway, try washing the offending yarn and see if that helps.

Tiga - You...are....brilliant! No more itchy nose for me :clap

It's probably a result of the fibers that come off it. I've noticed some yarns "shed" when you're using them. It does seem to me that varigated yarns do this more but why I couldn't tell you...lol.

Glad washing it helped... that's a great idea btw.

I'm allergic to almost all acylic yarns. My forearms break out horribly, I get super congested, eyes water, etc. I wear those disposable thin gloves like doctors/nurses wear when working with it as certain items just look better with acrylic yarns.

Archived