How are these blankets made?

Hello everyone,

I still consider myself a newbie and don't do alot of fancy things yet. I came across these patterns for sale on ebay and was wondering how these blankets are crocheted?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150080493922

When doing the color changes in each row -

Do you have to attach and detach the yarn for each row? That would be alot of ends!!

Or do you somehow not detach your yarn and just drop and pick up the colored yarn? :think

Or is the blanket made first like all single crochet stitches and then the design is crosstitched into the blankie?

Sorry, I know these are really dumb questions, I'm just wanting to get an idea of how difficult these patterns are and how many ends are being weaved in. :eek

Esmy

I can't speak for these specific patterns, but there are 2 ways it can be done...the first is to sc the whole thing and then cross stitch over the top. The second is to use yarn bobbins (little plastic dohickies that hold a small ball of yarn), a seperate bobbin for each block of color, and sc each row, making the color changes as needed to create the image. If you want a more detailed instruction on how that works, do a search for Tampa Doll's posts about color changes!! She took a bunch of pics to help illustrate the method!

Jessie

You usually work pic-blankies with a graph that tells you where when you need to switch colors. Its a little tricky at first, so look up a pattern that isnt so intricate and practice with that; like a sqaure with a simple two color design. you dont always have to cut the end of your yarn when doing rows, you just pick it up where you left it. but not always. That is a cute blanky, it would be worth the effort. most of the outlining (around the eyes and detail) is done by embroidery. easy-peasy stuff there.

Esmy,

First, there are no dumb questions. We all started once upon a time and had the same or more questions that we needed answers to :) .

I have never done a full afghan in the tapestry style, however, have done some small squares. One easy suggestion for you on this is to go to the CAL section and look for the recent valentine mystery cal, or the christmas or halloween mystery cal's. They have the technique on a small square size and many suggestions throughout the threads on how to go about doing them. They are also broken down into days of work so that it's not SO SO overwhelming initially. It will help to build your convendience as you work it.

This will save you from buying a pattern that will initially overwhelm you due to your inexperience when you first read it, will help you to develop the skill easily and quickly (and you can always post on here to get more help if you need to :) ), and will keep you from buying a ton of yarn (not like that would really stop us...lol) for that 1 specific wim and not doing it.

I do hope you give the smaller squares on here a shot, they can be quite fun to see the design coming out as you go along :)

Sandy

I'm pretty sure it's single crochet and cross stitched on after. That's how their Princess afghans are.

You can do them that way, or you can do it afghan stitch then cross stitch. Or you can follow the chart and either single crochet or afghan stitch and change color as you go.

:)

I have this booklet...it is sc with cross stitch added afterwards.....:hook

I'm just surprised it is sooo much $$

Thanks ladies for all the responses. It really helped understand.

Sandy, I will definetely check out the CAL and try out one of these small squares. I think that would be the best option, to start out small and then when I feel good about technique move on to something bigger.

Esmy:)

I think I saw this one at Michaels... I (think) it was all sc done in tapestry (as mentioned above there are good tutorials on this site.)

I've never heard of cross stitching afterwards but it sounds like a good idea... If you look at the pictures on the bottom of the link, it looks like the blocks of colors in the corner are sc...

Archived