Lion Brand Comfort Shawl

Has anyone made this shawl before with LB Chenille Thick & Quick? My friend has been going through a difficult situation (not an illness) and I want to make her this shawl. Just to let her know that I'm thinking about her all the time.

Is chenille a big pain? I think I remember working with something like it and if you made a mistake and had to take it out it would shed really bad.

Thanks,

Julie

I haven't made that shawl, Julie. However, I have made a scarf with chenille and it does tend to shed if you have to frog.:eek Just my two cents. I'll say a prayer for your friend.:hug

My daughter made a couple scarves with the chenille and they came out really nice. I don't think she did any frogging on them, but I also don't remember her mentioning any problems with it.

I think it's very thoughtful for you to make this for your friend - I'm sure she won't care if you did four DC's instead of five!

I use easily washable yarns for my prayer shawls. Either Bernat Soft Boucle or Lion Homespun are nice, but it's sometimes hard to see the stitches in the Homespun. I'd be afraid the chenille would shed too badly, both in making and wearing.

A prayer shawl doesn't have to be for illness. I made one for a friend as she went thru some of the usual teenage stress. It was filled with prayers and good thoughs for her transition to womanhood, and she really felt comfort in it she says.

I did the pattern for a prayer shawl on the Lion Brand website using, as they recommended, the Homespun. It worked up so beautifully, quickly and soft!! She loved it too. It ends up being about 6 feet long but only took me 3 days to complete. So, that is my recommendation, having never used chenile myself.

Thanks everyone for your replies! The LB Chenille is out. I just don't like the way it looks and a lot of you are talking about the shedding. I definitely don't want to make it and it come out looking awful after washing. I have some Homespun but I know I've tried working with it before and had a hard time seeing the stitches.

Thanks again,

Julie

I tried to use Chenille Thick & Quick for a prayer shawl and it just didn't work- it was way too bulky and it shed when I had to frog. I would definitley go with Homespun or something along that line.

I've worked with the Homespun, and there are two things I do: use a BIG hook and not worry too much about where I put my stitches. You can't see them, anyway, so I mostly go by feel. As long as the stitch FEELS secure, and the pattern is shaping up okay, I don't worry about it. I feel around with the hook a bit to find the next stitch and just poke through the first open spot.

Also, I crochet a bit more loosely, but not TOO loosely. And for a shawl, gauge is a more fudgeable, too, so that's good.

Archived