Circular and double ended crochet hooks

I have seen circular crochet hooks in my LYS, and the owner told me that she ordered them due to requests, but has never seen a pattern or use for them. I've also seen hooks with a hook on either end. Has anyone used these, and if you have, for what?

Thanks!

I know the double-ended hooks are for something called "crochet on the double." I'm not ENTIRELY sure what that means, but I know Annie's Attic has a section on it - complete with "how-to's."

double ended crocheting is worked with 2 or more colors at a time the finished project tends to be a little thicker that crocheting. And it also has a double sided look to it. So id you are useing 2 colors one side will have one side more pradoninate and the other colore will be on the flip side. I am working a afgan on circular double ended hooks with 4 colors: black, gray, red and white. One side is black and grey with a little on the red and white showing and the other side is white and red with a litttle of the black and gray showing. Later I can take a pic to show what i mean or maybe someone else can explain it better

I would LOVE to see a picture of your afghan! I looked at Annie's Attic and found the section on Crochet on the Double, but haven't had a chance to look over it very well yet. It sounds like it's crocheting meant to look like knitting. Is that the intention?

In a way, Kelley. I also think it's meant to make a sturdier fabric. I believe it is called the afghan stitch and (correct me somebody if I'm wrong) tapestry crochet.:D

In a way, Kelley. I also think it's meant to make a sturdier fabric. I believe it is called the afghan stitch and (correct me somebody if I'm wrong) tapestry crochet.:D

It is simalar to the afgan stic, to do this (aka tunsion) you use a long crochet hook.

Here are some pic of the afgan I am working on as you can tell both side look differnet.

deh004.jpg

Close up on one side

deh003.jpg

Close up on other side

deh002.jpg

deh001.jpg

to get the double sided look you work with more than one skien of yarn on opposite ends of the project. You leave the loops on the hook as you would for knitting, but depending on the stitch sometimes it still looks like a crocheted item, sometimes it resembles knit.

The afghan stitch is done on single-ended but long crochet hooks. It's the same thing as Tunisian. Crochet on the double, cro-hook, or crochenit is done on the double-ended hooks and looks like the beautiful afghan already posted. I too am working on an afghan using crochet on the double, but am doing squares to piece together. I have made hats, scarves and potholders also.

The fabric feels different than Tunisian/afghan stitch. Cro-hooked fabric is more stretchy than Tunisian, and you don't have to fight the curl that you do with Tunisian.

There are a few pattern books out there. One is The Best of Crochet on the Double. It has afghans, wraps, baby toys, even sweaters. www.crochenit.com also has some free patterns for download, as well as basic instructions on the technique. Try it, you'll like it!

But what is the circular hook for? Is it 2 hooks connected with a nylon cord? I know that those are used for making large afghan stitch projects but I've never seen a curcular hook before!

But what is the circular hook for? Is it 2 hooks connected with a nylon cord? I know that those are used for making large afghan stitch projects but I've never seen a curcular hook before!

Just as you stated the circular hooks are for working crochet on the double or crochnit for large afgans. If you work large afgan on the normal sozed crochnit hook you take a risk of having your stiches fall off the hook. In the pic I am working with a crochnit hook with the nylon cord connecting the two hooks.

I hope that answers your question.:)

Archived