as anyone heard of this the....

counterfeit crochet project? i was reading about it in the new issue of "craft:" magzine.it was kinda interesting. checked out her site to she trys to copy designer bags.

just wonder if anyone else read the article and what they thought

I think that is awesome, It's not really counterfeit is it? I mean she is crocheting it a completly diffrent look. Great job, to her and everyone that is doing it. I've done it too just not big labels. Way to think outside of the box (or bag)!!!

It wasn't until I clicked on that link above that I realized I HAVE seen this before. It's been a while, though, so that's why I didn't remember.

If I didn't have so many WiPs, UFOs, and things on my To-Do list, I'd probably step up to that challenge! I don't know how WELL I'd do... but I'd TRY!!! :hook

But if she's using the designer "logo" - isn't that infringment on copyright?

well, think of it this way...........how many times do you see "knock off" purses of Dooney & Bourke or Kate Spade or even Chanel and those people try to trick you into thinking that they are real. So much so that one lady dedicated a WHOLE site to showing you what Kate Spade's are real and which ones are fake. (Can't remember the website off the top of my head.)

I know what you are saying though and I really dont think that I would want to exactly copy something. I mean for the Chanel bag you could maybe come up with your own "logo" or design.

It seems to me as if there are trademark issues involved with reproducing the logos, although I'm not so sure about copyright. However, since I'm not an attorney, I'm not sure how "legally actionable" any of what she is doing would be considered by the trademark owners.

It doesn't seem that she's selling any of these items or encouraging anyone else to sell their finished items or distribute their patterns in any way.

There may be some sort of loophole in the trademark laws that make this type of "art exhibit" all right. Personally, if I were organizing something like that, I'd have been sure to run it by an intellectual property attorney before making it public, just to cover all my bases.

Archived