Chelles Lacy Poncho - # of rows?

crosette

Question

I'm making that poncho for my niece for her birthday tomorrow. I'd already made her one from a different pattern but realized after it was done that it was going to be way too big so here I am last minute blah blah....anyway, good thing this pattern works up so fast.

So...I know her head is 20.5" so I made the starting chain 23" but I don't really know how long I should make the poncho itself. I know a bunch of you have made this already so could you tell me how many rows you did and the size/age of the girl you made them for please?? My neice is going to be 5 and I think she wears a size 4/almost 5 (or is it 5/almost 6??).

Thanks for any help in advance. :)

6 answers to this question

What type of yarn are you using? I would say 6 or 7 of the shell rounds after the v stitch round, and then the final last round. Also, if you havent gotten too far yet, I would make the starting chain 21 1/2" or 22", or if you have gotten a pretty good start on it, then just do a round of decrease on the neckline. I say this because with some yarns the neck stretches. The wool-ease one I made, the neck stayed the same size and my 6 yr old has worn it almost every day since I made it....but the cara mia poncho, the neck has like tripled in size - seriously.

I made one for my 5 year old and after two days of wearing, I'm not seeing much stretching around the neck. I used Caron Simply Soft and it does seem to hold its shape pretty well.

I would have posted a picture of it but a certain two year old tossed her globe ball at the five year old's dinner, taking out the spaghetti and milk, so the poncho and outfit are now in the washer. :D!

Thanks for replying. :) I'm using Red Heart yarn (it's a variegated called Monet). I've already done 5 shell rows so I'll just go back and add something to the neckline once I'm done as you suggested.

I think what I should have asked was how long was the poncho once you finished it? B/c I've completed 5 rows of shells and its only 7" from neckline to bottom of 5th row. According to my calculations (hehe =P) if I do 7 shell rows then it'll be 9". Would that be long enough?

Thanks again.

This is my four year old (going to be 5 in May) who is in a 4/5. I made hers with 6 rounds of the V shells and then the final shells trim. It's around 10 inches in length.

ChellesNewest.jpg

Hope that helps give you an idea of how long you'd like yours.

The one I did in Red Heart SS had 7 shell rounds and was 11" from shoulder to arm, but fell just at her elbows. I would say make it about 11" to 11 1/2" (from neck) and then do the final round which would give it another what? 1/2" or 3/4"?

**Edited to fix number of shell rounds, counted wrong lol**

I am making this also in Caron Simply Soft right now for my 5 year old daughter. I had the same neck measurements and am making 8 rows before final row. I tried it on her this AM and preferred it on her a little longer than Chelle's. The neck fit perfectly and I doubt there will be much stretching!

Archived