Not a crochet topic

I know this isn't crochet related, but I also know there are a few of you crocheters out there that knit too. Anyway I have inherited a bunch of knitting needles, and I don't know much about knitting. Some of the needles are slightly bent, are they still useable? Or should I pitch them? And two pair are plastic and aren't exactly straight either. They were given to me by an old man that runs an antique and collectibles shop. Said they had been there a long time and he couldn't get rid of them, so he gave them to me.

I have a few knitting needles that belonged to my Mother. I have used them and they worked fine. It is just a matter of preference. You can think of them as short circular needles. lol:lol

Thanks, I do plan on learning to knit, just don't have time right now. One of my sons teachers knits and she will be holding a class at the school library this summer. Thinking of joining. She is teaching the kids before school that want to learn. My son decided he wanted to learn. So I had to dig out a pair of needles for him. Thats when I noticed some were bent.

It is pefectly normal for older needles to warp a bit...it's the type of plastic they're made from.

I also knit, and love to collect old knitting needles as well as crochet hooks, and I think all those warps and bends adds to the character of the needle.

:cheer A nice fine metal knitting needle makes a great tester for when cooking a cake.

I have a very wiggly old, size 12, in my drawer especially for the job.

My favourites to knit with are circular so I dont really have any use for straight needles but I have kept some for nostalgic reasons.

I am sure you will find a good use for them, even if just for holding up an indoor plant.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I do knit, and, in my opinion, bent needles slow down the speed at which you slide the stitches up and down. It is very important to have a smooth flow and steady rhythm if you want to knit fast, so I suggest you find other uses for those bent needles. In fact, I prefer to use metal needles, and not plastic.

Don't pitch them! If you don't want them I'll take them off your hands! But really, you can still use them, especially if you are a new knitter speed isn't your main concern right now. slightly bent needles work just fine unless they actually have an actuall dent.

You could also frame them in a shadow box and call it art!

I have several old crochet hooks and knitting needles in metal, bone and ivory that I have matted and framed along with vintage doileys they look great.

Archived