Marine Corps Kids

theworm

I'm very excited to be working with some great people on a new start up charity called Marine Corps Kids. This charity will be collecting hand-crafted items and distributing them to the children of deployed marines.

You can read more about the charity here. I hope that some of you will support the effort now by voting (as explained in the link) and that you will consider supporting this effort in the future as we send finished items to our little heroes.

Great Info Worm!

I know my Stepfather-in-law is a Marine, and that over and above his Job, HE and many of the other Marines volunteer their time and energies often to charitable causes...mostly related to children.:clap

My hats off to all of you, not only serving overseas, but serving here too!

wow this is awsome!! I know the kids have such a hard time seeing their mommy and daddy's leave on deployment...I think it hits them harder than anyone else.

I am totally in just let me know what i need to do to help and contribute!!

• 3 weeks later...

Nikki, it is my sincere hope that we can expand this to all branches of the military! I love Crochet for charity and my friend Deb has connections with the Marines and the Marine Corps Family Foundation, so this was the smart an easy way for us to start, but if this takes off, we hope to be able to expand it to Army and Navy too!!

• 4 months later...

It took us a little while to iron out the details, but we're up and running!

I just packed up our first hat and blanket for a new baby in CA, and we have about 20 mom's expecting in the Fall.

If any of you do work for charity and feel inclined to show some support to the newest moms and babies in the Corps - all donations are appreciated!

Marine Corps Kids Blog

• 1 month later...

Marine Corps Kids is up and running!

I've been so delighted at the outpouring of support that we've received. We are still getting the word out to bases, but so far we're averaging about 40 new babies a month! We've sent out hats, blankets, booties, sweaters and toys!

The response from crafters has been amazing! The families on the bases have been thrilled with their gifts. We're trying to send sets for the newest babies, but have also had some hats and toys for older kids.

So many Marines are being re-deployed, and its hard on the families left behind. In this tiny way we can show our appreciating - it makes me feel good!

If anyone is interested, please PM me and I can send you an address for donations.

Thanks!

Archived