Hooks...Brand size comparison

Ok...I have been using Boye hooks ever since my grandmother taught me how to crochet as a child, but resently, I bought myself a set of Susan Bates Silvalume hooks because I have heard many good things about them. I also thought, because of my problem with tremors, the in-line hooks might be a bit easier for me to use and maybe I might not split my yarn as often when I tremor LOL

I like the feel and the speed that I can get with them, that I used to have with the Boye hooks before my tremors started getting worse, being that they are in-line hooks, but it took me a little bit of time to get used to them because they are shorter than the boye hooks in the total length and the distance from the grip to the hook is shorter too.

Well, anyway, getting to the point...

I noticed yesterday the the Susan Bates G hook is a bit smaller that the boye G hook. The Boye G is 4.25mm and the Susan Bates G is 4.00mm.

I thought that was strange. I compared my other sizes and the others seem to all be the same size in mm's.

I wonder why the one brand in the G hook is differant than the other brand in the G hook? :think I assumed that, now-a-days, the mm size and the letter were universal in all brands, I guess that I was wrong.

I think that I want to get a complete set of Susan Bates (since the Silvalume doesn't have all sizes) to go with my complete set of Boye hooks, just in case of other size variations LOL

Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing with different brands of hooks?

Yes, different brands have different measurements on some sizes. Usually it's safer to go with the mm measurement rather than the letter given in a pattern, since not all Gs are created equal.

This is my justification :blush for buying a complete set of hooks of just about every brand I can find (no, I don't have a problem...well, maybe a little one). Some yarns and stitches just work better for me with certain hooks. I despise Boye hooks, yet I have a complete set, just in case. :hook

Yes, different brands have different measurements on some sizes. Usually it's safer to go with the mm measurement rather than the letter given in a pattern, since not all Gs are created equal.

This is my justification :blush for buying a complete set of hooks of just about every brand I can find (no, I don't have a problem...well, maybe a little one). Some yarns and stitches just work better for me with certain hooks. I despise Boye hooks, yet I have a complete set, just in case. :hook

Yeah. What she said.

I keep one of those little things with the holes in it so you can put your hook in there and see what size it is... I have a lot of wooden hooks that aren't marked anyway, so I'm so used to using that little hook-sizer thing that I don't even think about looking on the side of the hook to see what it is...

I went shopping with my grandma a couple days ago and she bought one that was a C in one brand (it was made in Germany) and another one in a different brand that was suppose to be a C but it was different

As a die-hard Bates user I welcome you to the In-Line side.

Bates has different mesasurments for everything over a K and quite a few for those under. Watch out for the steels as well (though the steel bates hooks aren't in-lines. They used to be but at some point in the distant past, they changed).

In general, stick to the mm size over letter and number. I've seen brand comparison charts all over the net, but none of them seem to completely match reality. Trust the mm.

Wow, sticking to one brand sure kept me out of the hook loop :P LOL

I was at JoAnn's again today and I looked very closely at the mm's of all of the hook brands that they carry and I think that my hook collection is going to get MUCH bigger LOL

I noticed that with the Clover soft touch hooks the sizes go up in half sizes: E/3.50mm, F/4.00mm, G/4.50mm, H/5.00mm...etc...I was excited to see the 4.50mm, I have a pattern that calls for a size 7/4.50mm hook and I have never seen a size 7 hook anywhere!!!

I'm not an addict...No...not me... :no ... :yes:blush:hook:hyper

the boye and bates h hooks are different as well.....i always have to check the mm size because i have both of the g and h hooks

My Susan Bates and my Boye H hooks are both 5.00mm...I wonder why your's are different, unless they are older? :think

Archived