Stained Glass Window Afghan Cal????

MsSunflwr

Hi fellow stained glass window hookers.

I am having a terrible time with the original pattern. Terrible. I have tried 4 or 5 times to follow th epattern and I read Ninakates tips etc on teh first few pages.

Total frustration.

Soooo, I started all over and went with the traditional V stitch and I am almost done with my first strip!! YAY. My frustration was over come.

I'll post when I have the first strip done!!

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soooo, I started all over and went with the traditional V stitch and I am almost done with my first strip!! YAY.

Great! I think of crochet patterns, like recipes, as a point of departure.

I did mine in single crochet. Several others have used different stitches, and they all look lovely! I'm donating mine for a raffle this weekend. I have lots of yarn, so may make another one. I love this pattern!

Just checking the thread after a few days, glad to see so many more people joining in.

CROCHETTINGMAMA...you are doing the pattern exactly like I did with a traditional v stitch. I think you will be pleased with the finished afghan. Nice to see so many different variations of this pattern. I've still got two to finish.

Thanks Donna! I swear I read and re read your clarifications pages back and I just didn't get it. I simply was not happy with the V stitch in the pattern. Silly me. :)

But I am happy with how this is coming along now. :hook

that looks awesome! It is great to see so many people here, it was a little dead when I started mine... but its awesome to be able to see all the different variations... its giving me the motivation to get a move on mine:blush i've put it to the side for a little while....

Must get back to working on it!:devil

Okay, I've been eying this thread for a while now and just finished one of my other projects. I have a few questions about the pattern.

Did everyone just use worsted weight yarn for the pattern? Did anybody use different weight for each panel (ex. baby weight and worsted weight)? What size hook did everyone use? Any tips about the pattern.

I really want to make this for my queen size bed. I have scraps and skeins that I -definitely- need to use up so my stashbusting score will go down.

Thanks everyone!

I used all worsted weight but I didn't follow the pattern. I made each color 10 rows high (so it looked like a square) and each panel had 12 squares. It took 7 panels to fit the top of a double bed. using this method it wouldn't take much more for it to fit the top of a queen size bed. Using this version, you would probably only have to add 1 more square to each panel and 1 more panel to the afghan.

Here's the link to my post where there's a picture of my finished afghan so you have an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=651681#poststop

I used all worsted weight (well I am using... still in progress) and an K hook. I didn't follow the pattern, I just loved the look of it, i"m just doing all DC. and my goal was to make it look as random as possible. You can see a picture of it in my blog, just the first two panels. I hope to finish the third one today... But life has a tendancy of getting in the way:blush :hook

I have a confession. I am not enjoying this project at all. I don't think I will be making THREE of these--ever.

It is time and labor intensive IMO. I have my 5 panels made and I will post the finished blanket. BUT--I am working on sewing the ends right now, then the border then sewing the panels together then the final border!!!!

To me it's a LOT of work!!

LOL well I understand the ends weaving in and all the sewing together taking a bit of time, I make myself do the ends as I go, I think I just feel like i'm making a lot of quick progress because of how quickly each strip grows. I can't wait to see your finished blanket, and hope you find one you like more for you other two!!:manyheart

Ugh, I know what you mean. I just finished a crocheted lapghan and I had a color change every four rows. It's so annoying sewing in all the ends. Next time I'll just sew them in as I go along.

I didn't sew my panels together, I did the sc, ch1, sc method of joining. The joining went really quick. Before doing the joining, I sewed the ends in of that one panel. Then when it was all done, I only had the border ends to sew. Maybe you should consider that method. It might make it a bit more enjoyable.

You can even do it as dc, ch 1, dc depending on how far apart you want the panels. I'll have to look at the afghan when I get home (I gave it to my daughter as soon as it was finished) to see which one I actually did (sc or dc). It was the first time I ever joined anything using that method and I absolutely love it. It's so fast and easy.

I was thinking about this thing, planning a bit of what I want to do with it. I kinda wanted to try a stitch I've never done before instead of doing what the pattern says. How do ya'll think a fur stitch would look with this type of afghan?

I save a ton of time by weaving in my ends as I go. I was taught to just lay the excess yarn down on top of the next row and just crochet over it, this works like a charm and no extra work.

HAPPINESS - I've never heard of a fur stitch...what does it look like?

I think ANY stitch would be perfect for this afghan!

The fur stitch is shown here: http://www.nexstitch.com/v_loop_stitch.html I guess it's also called a loop stitch. Pretty much you have little loops throughout your work that makes your work look like fur. Instead of using your finger like shown in the video, you can use knitting needles. I thought it would be fun to try. :)

Archived