victoriarose

Vintage Bone Hook Size Equivalence

Could someone please give me a tid-bit of info on "Bone Hooks". Celts has several layette patterns (esp. Jack Frost) that indicate size 2, 3, 4, etc, Bone Crochet Hook as the required (suggested) hook size. I guess I could have Googled the info BUT, for future reference, for other Vintage pattern enthusiasts, I thought this would be a good reference thread. Thanks! :hug

According to McCall's Knit/Crochet Encyclopedia of 1977, "'Bone' crochet hooks are 5" long and come in sizes 1 to 6, roughly the equivalent of B to G..." There is an illustration, but it's just the modern American lettered standard sizing. I think it's safe to assume that B=1, C=2, and so on...

I hope this helps!

Tracey, thank you so much for the info! I didn't think anyone was ever going to post to this...it's been here a while. :hug

I'm only bumping this ancient thread to post this: http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/97.html   

F-5

3.75 mm

F hook = Bone Crochet Hook Size 5,

G-6

4.00 mm

G hook = Bone Crochet Hook Size 6, and so on. Tracy4610 was correct, but in case anyone wants LionBrand's site with the whole list there it is. Reason I post this here is that I was doing a web search for crochet hook conversions to newer hook sizes, and this old post was in one of the first hits. Anyway, hope this might help another person some day :)

Here is another link with a little more of a breakout for the bone hook sizes (thanks to Magiccrochetfan for posting this on another thread recently, I had only ever wandered around the catalog before; warning, don't look at the catalog unless you have a few hours to kill ;)  )

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/vhooks.htm

Edited by Granny Square

That's a better one. I love that site for all of the antique patterns too! I imagine all those women in history spending weeks making some of the doilies on there- no wonder clothing was one of the most stolen items back then. It took weeks just to complete a cuff.