Bell Sleeve Tunic Along

angieInCA

There was some talk earlier about doing a Crochet-Along of the "Bell Sleeve Tunic" designed by Doris J. Chan in the BH&G Simply Creative Corchet 2006 mag.

Well, I have bought my yarn and I am ready to get started right after Christmas. Is anybody else interested?

100_0793.jpg

I'm using the following

Color A Patons Classic Wool Merino in Deep Olive

Color B: Lion Brand Wool in Pumpkin #133

ColorC: Moda-Dea Cache' in Tootsie #2329

It all started with the Moda-Dea that I already had in my stash and one skein of the Olive. Just had to go yarn shopping to find a coordinating color :D and buy more Olive.

The Cache' is a bit bulky but I think it will add some interest and texture.

I can't wait to get started but I do have 2 more scarves (presents) I have to finish before Saturday!

The way Row 2 is written at the end is a little confusing. The last instruction is confusing, it states " 4 ch-1 sp corners". I had to re-read this a few times and visualize the row in my head before it made sense. Basically what it means is to work the row as stated and you will end up with 51 (54,54,57,57) hdc and 4 ch-1 sp corners in the row, they are not in addition to the row you already worked. It states this at the end of every row till you get to row 3 of the front neck.

Thanks Angie, I'll remember that when I get started. I'm hoping to get the yarn for it this weekend. Most of my stash is made up of Red Heart and I want to try and get something nicer for this project. Hopefully I don't get too far behind you!

I finally got a chance to get started tonight. Do you know if the turning chain is counted as a hdc? I can't figure out if my stitch count is right or not and don't want to get too much further until I know if I'm counting right.

I would assume(you know what that means, right?! :)) that the ch2 is counted as a hdc. I think the turning ch is commonly referred to as a stitch unless the pattern specifically states that it isn't.

Jessi,

I now see what you mean about the stitch counts for this tunic...I've frogged several times, but I'm determined. I just need to read carefully and concentrate :) I'll keep everyone posted. Has anyone else had any problems?

After many froggings and not giving up, I finally realized what I was doing wrong. Row 1-3 I was increasing correctly. When I did an even row, I would move the stitch marker into the hdc that I put into the ch1 space of the v- st(like it states). This confused me when I turned the piece and would begin the increase row because I then began increasing in a stitch that wasn't lined up with the other increases. To fix this problem, I left the stitch marker in the previous v-st(increase row) placed the hdc in the even row and proceeded with the even row that way. When I got to an increase row again, I could see better where that exact hdc was, put the v-st there, then move the stitch marker in that increase. I solved all the problems I was having with the stitches being placed unevenly. If you are finding that you have the stitch counts, but the left and right sides look uneven, then I'm sure that's why; the stitches aren't lined up properly.

I hope it's easy sailing from here on. I'll keep you posted.

Wow, I'm glad I found Crochetville this week. What a great place!

Anyway, thanks for referring me here, Karen. I'm still not familiar with all the neat things done on this forum. :)

Well, I started this after Christmas, but didn't really figure out row 3 until this week. :blush I'm doing mine in the same brown and tan colors as the picture, but with a solid medium blue. I really like the colors you folks picked out. :yarn I need to finish up some legwarmers before the snow comes this weekend... so I probably won't be concentrating on the bell-sleeve until next week.

Welcome to the 'ville Lady of Shalott!!

Karen, I was having the same problem and getting very frustrated. I'll have to frog again and try it your way. I ususally don't have the patience for all this frogging but I'm determined to get this done!

I was wondering if anyone knows why row two under the first All Sizes section has the wrong number of hdc just from a mathematical standpoint? I'm doing size L....and the even row is 94...than it will increase in the next row to 104. However, the even row doesn't have ch-1 spaces because the pattern said to hdc in all hdc's and ch-1 spaces. Because you won't have V-stitchs to add a full 8 hdc when you increase... it should only be an increase of 6.

Do you think that's just a mistake? Or did I forget to hdc somewhere? :think

I hope, if we ever get past the first part of this pattern, that the rest will be much easier.

I wish I could help you. I haven't had a chance to restart mine. I wish the even rows had the stitch counts too cause I can't seem to get them right at all and I don't know where exactly it is that I'm screwing up on.

Well, I'm just going along with it...and I'll see what happens. I don't want to be so sure there are mistakes... but I just wanted to at least get to the part where you join the neckline and start working in rounds. I think that once it is 'try on-able', I can figure out ways to get the same results without the stitch count. I really think that it is wrong when it increases as you change yarn colors. I'll let you know if it looks like anything close to the picture. :D

I was wondering if anyone knows why row two under the first All Sizes section has the wrong number of hdc just from a mathematical standpoint? I'm doing size L....and the even row is 94...than it will increase in the next row to 104. However, the even row doesn't have ch-1 spaces because the pattern said to hdc in all hdc's and ch-1 spaces. Because you won't have V-stitchs to add a full 8 hdc when you increase... it should only be an increase of 6.

Do you think that's just a mistake? Or did I forget to hdc somewhere? :think

I 'm now on the left left sleeve and things are going ok; not that I haven't had any problems, but whenever I feel like just frogging this sweater and starting on something else, I take a break and pick it up again later. Usually after reflection I can see where I've made a mistake or reread the instructions until they make sense. So, far I haven't encountered any pattern mistakes, but I think it could have been written better to eliminate some of the guess work. Having stitch counts after every row would have been a big plus! The flare shaping of the sleeve was looking a little weird, but I pressed on and it looks fine.

When I swatched for this tunic, I had the stitch count, but not the row. Being that it's more important to have the stitch count, I pressed on especially since I was up to an L sized hook. With that said, I'm adjusting the lenth of the sleeves to fit me!

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, and new to the crochet-a-long. I am working on this pattern and have had just as much trouble as everyone else. I am now down to the vents on mine. I am using Red Heart Soft in Toast, Off White, and Tangerine.

Here is what it looks like so far:

belltunic.jpg

I had to increase to 15 ch under the arms so it would feel right to me. It will throw off my stitch count for the sleeves, but I think I can figure it out. I would love to see photos of the progression of anyone elses.

LaVonneK

wow, thanks for the picture, LaVonneK... I'm only up to the upper part of that.. without the body.... but it helps to see it looks pretty similar to mine. :cheer

um... this is a stupid question, but how do you insert images from your computer onto the forum page. All I can see on this tool bar is that it has to come from a webpage. :think

Thanks, FadedBlue. :)

Well, I've gotten to the body rows and it seems to be way easier once you get to that point. With all the adjustments I made in the first parts of the pattern, I think I could make another one without all the frustration. :P

It came out great, Karen!

I just did the side vents... and um.. I could do without them. They kind of look dumb in my opinion... And now I know why the model in the picture kept her bell-sleeves over the side vents. :eek I think I'm going to connect them after I do the sleeves.

It came out great, Karen!

I just did the side vents... and um.. I could do without them. They kind of look dumb in my opinion... And now I know why the model in the picture kept her bell-sleeves over the side vents. :eek I think I'm going to connect them after I do the sleeves.

Thank you! I left my side vents off because I couldn't figure out what the pattern was talking about.

Archived