Newbie HAT Crochet-a-Longs (CAL)

Cranky Crocheter

I'm so excited! My first CAL! I'll have to go right out tonight and get the yarn. After looking at the colors on the pattern page, I think I'll do Spice.

Anyone else have an idea of color?

I have some leftover Denim!!

Be sure to post pics and questions and comments or general yarn-like observations!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have some leftover Denim!!

Be sure to post pics and questions and comments or general yarn-like observations!

I have some regular wool, but not the Thick and Quick kind. I went to Michaels on my way home, but they didn't have the Spice. No biggie, I got Cranberry instead. A very pretty shade of red.

Unfortunately I can't even start on it tonight. I have a bazillion things to do. But, it'll be started before the weekend!:clap

Great job clare!!! I stared last night and I found that I HATED crocheting in rounds with LN Thick and Quick... Totally ripped it out.. I am going to use another yarn and maybe a smaller needle....

Great job clare!!! I stared last night and I found that I HATED crocheting in rounds with LN Thick and Quick... Totally ripped it out.. I am going to use another yarn and maybe a smaller needle....

You know, as I was winding my skein into a ball last night, I was thinknig to myself that it was going to be difficult for me to crochet with it. It's so thick! I hope I can do it. My failure with chenile is still hanging over my head!

Anyway, I think qualify as a newbie because I just did my first project today. I'll start on the hat tommorow.

YAY, my first CAL

Welcome aboard!!

Stargazingirly~~Your hat looks really great. I love how you did the cuff at the bottom. It looks really good!

I'm starting mine today. Hopefully, I'll be posting pics later on, not frustrations!!

Cat Loving Crocheter: what was your first project?

I've been knitting for years, but i'm finding that for many things I like to crochet better, I loved making this hat!! good luck with yours!

It was a baby hat. I had too many stitches near the top, and too little near the bottom, so it looked like a chef's hat. ^_^;;

I read that you taught yourself crochet. Good for you! I could've never taught myself.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but why were you up at 1 a.m.?

It was a baby hat. I had too many stitches near the top, and too little near the bottom, so it looked like a chef's hat. ^_^;;

I read that you taught yourself crochet. Good for you! I could've never taught myself.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but why were you up at 1 a.m.?

I'm a college kid and we are still on christmas vacation, sleep till 10ish, go to the gym, sit on the couch crocheting or knitting until 12- or later and then repeat the day.... once classes start again ill have to spend a little less time crocheting and a little more time studying, but the general schedule stays the same:yay

Well, I started it.

I used Bernat Softee Chunky in a really pretty shade. It was a bulky weight yarn, so I used a J hook. Once I began crocheting, I realized that I would have to have many more stitches than the pattern says, so I did two stitches in each stitch to make it go quicker. Well, that began to ruffle the yarn so I had to rip out that row. I decided to increase in every third stitch so that I wouldn't increase too fast. Then I saw that I was skipping alot of stitches so I began to rip it out, but the yarn was REALLY stubborn. I decided that the yarn was just too stubborn and quit working. I think next time I'll have to use the right weight of yarn, and one that rips out more easily.

aaaaawwww its always so hard to rip things out with that chunky yarn, I think using an easy yarn makes the pattern a lot easier to follow. Especially if your having a hard time finding all the stitches, I like to be able to see what i'm working with and that chunky stuff makes it hard. I'm sure you will be able to figure it out!! goodluck CLC!!!!:cheer:cheer

I made 3!!!!! All of them using scraps, cuz Homespun just looked terrible....:angry I used Lion Wool in a green and a royal blue, alternating whenever, and then I made another in a navy cotton yarn.

I hang out at the local bowling center on Saturday mornings, watching my 15yo, and helping the coach of the youth league he belongs to. Naturally, I had my basket and my hat, and when I finished it, one of the kids said "Cool Miss Christi!! Can I have it?" I tossed it to him, and he wore it the rest of the morning! One of the other kids asked for one, and she's getting the navy one.

WOO HOO!!! I love CAL's!!!:clap:cheer:yay

Archived